• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Will my former employer cover my legal fees?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

bm528

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Wisconsin

My wife was working as a CNA, a patient suffers a fall while moving him out of bed. Lawyer comes to speak to her to get her version of events and has her sign a statement as to what happened. Assured her that she was not being sued and they are suing her (former) employer, and "Don't worry about it too much". A few days later she get served with a claim listing her employer, her and another coworker as defendants.

Can they sue her as an individual? Do we need to hire our own lawyer (We really can't afford it)? Will her previous employer likely cover her legal fees since it happened while she was working for them, or are we out of luck now that she no longer work for them (She voluntarily left the company).

Just Blue

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Wisconsin

My wife was working as a CNA, a patient suffers a fall while moving him out of bed. Lawyer comes to speak to her to get her version of events and has her sign a statement as to what happened. Assured her that she was not being sued and they are suing her (former) employer, and "Don't worry about it too much". A few days later she get served with a claim listing her employer, her and another coworker as defendants.

Can they sue her as an individual? Do we need to hire our own lawyer (We really can't afford it)? Will her previous employer likely cover her legal fees since it happened while she was working for them, or are we out of luck now that she no longer work for them (She voluntarily left the company).
There is no way we can state whether her ex employer will provide an attorney for your wife. If I were her I would seek a consult with an attorney and discuss the situation.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">