• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Would this fall under a suit against hospital/surgeon or none at all ?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Capecodder33

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Massachusetts

I had a Stryker Trident hip implant done 7 or 8 years ago . From the get go i had pain after the surgery . Now the hip is grinding/popping . I went to see another surgeon and he said that the hip was recalled, and I should have it redone . I looked at the recall date and the recall was January 22nd 2008 . My surgery was January 28th 2008 . The hip was recalled a week BEFORE my surgery . Should this device have been used if it had been recalled ? If not, who is responsible.....the hospital or the surgeon ? Also, I never recieved any letter from anybody about this device being recalled . Thanks for any help you can provide.

Last edited:

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Massachusetts

I had a Stryker Trident hip implant done 7 or 8 years ago . From the get go i had pain after the surgery . Now the hip is grinding/popping . I went to see another surgeon and he said that the hip was recalled, and I should have it redone . I looked at the recall date and the recall was January 22nd 2008 . My surgery was January 28th 2008 . The hip was recalled a week BEFORE my surgery . Should this device have been used if it had been recalled ? If not, who is responsible.....the hospital or the surgeon ? Also, I never recieved any letter from anybody about this device being recalled . Thanks for any help you can provide.

Are you sure that you received the product under recall in Jan 2008? Orthopods can't even go to the bathroom without the sales reps holding their hand. The sales rep is in the operating room from start to finish, and he wouldn't supply a recalled product.

And, are you sure about the dates? Jan 2008 would have been 6 years ago, not "7 or 8".

There have been other Stryker recalls, and yours may have been among the ones subsequent to Jan 2008.

Last edited:

Capecodder33

Are you sure that you received the product under recall in Jan 2008? Orthopods can't even go to the bathroom without the sales reps holding their hand. The sales rep is in the operating room from start to finish, and he wouldn't supply a recalled product.

And, are you sure about the dates? Jan 2008 would have been 6 years ago, not "7 or 8".

There have been other Stryker recalls, and yours may have been among the ones subsequent to Jan 2008.

I just went back and pulled the surgeons notes. Date of Surgery January 28, 2008 . I asked his intern what model was used, and she said that it appears the surgeon did not state what model he used. She did say that was odd, and should have been in his notes. She called me back later and said it was the ceramic on ceramic model made by Stryker, and if I wanted more information to get a release from the hospital because his notes did not state the model . I will be getting the notes this week .

When I finally went for a second opinion about a week or so ago, the surgeon looked at the X-ray and stated that the other surgeon used a ceramic on ceramic Stryker Trident implant . Did Stryker make another ceramic on ceramic implant around that time ? Well, I guess I'll just have to wait on the hospital records.....you would think the surgeon would have his ducks in a row . Thanks for your input.... I didn't know sales reps were that close to the surgeon :) . I'll keep ya posted .

I just went back and pulled the surgeons notes. Date of Surgery January 28, 2008 . I asked his intern what model was used, and she said that it appears the surgeon did not state what model he used. She did say that was odd, and should have been in his notes. She called me back later and said it was the ceramic on ceramic model made by Stryker, and if I wanted more information to get a release from the hospital because his notes did not state the model . I will be getting the notes this week .

When I finally went for a second opinion about a week or so ago, the surgeon looked at the X-ray and stated that the other surgeon used a ceramic on ceramic Stryker Trident implant . Did Stryker make another ceramic on ceramic implant around that time ? Well, I guess I'll just have to wait on the hospital records.....you would think the surgeon would have his ducks in a row . Thanks for your input.... I didn't know sales reps were that close to the surgeon :) . I'll keep ya posted .
The exact model and serial number of your implant should be plastered over several parts of your medical record. In fact, you should have a copy yourself, though you prob. tossed it like most patients. If your second (current) surgeon doesn't know the model either, he is just guessing about recall status. Just wait till you have the actual info.

About sales reps, yeah, they are an essential part of medical device implantation. Most of the time, they know much more about the technical aspects than the surgeon, though obviously they have to be appropriately deferential. Plus, the surgeons get (thinly disguised) golf trips and fancy vacations from them, so it's a symbiotic relationship.

Last edited:

TheGeekess

Keeper of the Kraken
The exact model and serial number of your implant should be plastered over several parts of your medical record. In fact, you should have a copy yourself, though you prob. tossed it like most patients.

About sales reps, yeah, they are an essential part of medical device implantation. Most of the time, they know much more about the technical aspects than the surgeon, though obviously they have to be appropriately deferential. Plus, the surgeons get (thinly disguised) golf trips and fancy vacations from them, so it's a symbiotic relationship.
FDA won't let them do that anymore. :cool:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">