• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Wrongful Death

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

dave1010

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Ga
I need a answer for a medical malpractice/ wrongful death. My dad has been on warfarin for years. He had his spleen removed back in August and had no problems which is major surgery(was only taken off of his warfarin for 4 days for that surgery) After his spleen surgery he was back to his old self. Recently he had a back procedure done and his primary doctor only recommend for him to be off of his warfarin for no more than 4 days. The surgeon that did out patient surgery took him off for 10 days. He developed thromboembolism and recently passed away from it. Also my dads primary doctor even showed us that he had only recommend 4 days tops (this was right before my dads death) Why would he feel the need to show us that? I feel like he was covering his own butt because he knows that was what caused his death.

Vertebroplasty & Kyphoplasty Is the back procdure that was done. This is a minimally invasive procedure

If you take an anticoagulation medication (blood thinners such as Coumadin), you will have to stop the treatment until coagulation becomes normal, usually within three to five days. Contact your doctor before stopping any medication to determine if it is safe for you. On the day of the procedure, patients who use blood thinners should report to the hospital a little earlier for a blood test to verify that their anticoagulant has stopped working. If you are unable to interrupt your anticoagulant regimen, a short in-patient stay for intravenous treatment with heparin may be required. All patients should arrange for an adult to drive them home after the procedure.

Is there legal recourse I can take in this matter?

Last edited:

OHRoadwarrior

You can certainly consult a med mal lawyer, however, the problem when one gets old is the constant attempt to keep a balance of medication during necessary medical procedures. If he had become paralyzed from the back surgery, you would be here asking the same thing. Depending on the back surgery, 10 days does not seem abnormal. When I have mine, they normally require 2 days with no ibuprofen. I am not on any blood thinners though.

Last edited:

dave1010

Actually I wound not be here asking the same things if he were paralyzed. Back in the 80's I had a procedure done were the doctor sewed a catheter to my bladder and the nurses and doctors tried relentlessly to pull the cath out only to realize, they couldn't because the doctor had sewed it into my bladder. I had a case then and never pursued it because I am not the suing type. However, I do not want this doctor to be the cause of some other family losing a family member.

OHRoadwarrior

As you go through this remember 2 things. Medicine is a practice and the fact someone is alive does not mean they are living.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
I am asking this for a reason. How tall a man was your father? What did he weigh?

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Coumadin is enormously difficult to balance and the bigger the person, the harder to keep in balance. Additionally, medicine is not an exact science and there can be more than one valid opinion on how long to put someone one/take them off. For your own peace of mind talk to a med-mal lawyer, but I think you're going to need far more than leaving him off coumadin for longer than the original doctor advised to prove medical mal-practice or wrongful death.

I say this as someone who has had a relative die of complications regarding coumadin.

You have my sincere sympathies on your loss.

Dave1952

You have my sympathies. I don't see much in your post that suggests any malpractice but there may be facts that you've forgotten to mention. You may phone some malpractice attorneys in your area. Often they offer a free initial consult and some are willing to work on contingency. Choose an attorney whom you feel comfortable working with. Read any agreements before you sign them.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">