• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

ADHD and the enlisted marine.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

AAC0331

can a marine who's is diagnosed while serving in the reserves be medicated and remain in the marine corps?

xylene

Basically no,

And this marine needs to be immediately honest about this situation so he doesn't end up facing drug charges.

tranquility

can a marine who's is diagnosed while serving in the reserves be medicated and remain in the marine corps?
Why is there a desire for medication?

Anyway, since a fairly large percentage of the population who are of the military type are ADHD, I suspect the service has some theory. See http://www.hqmc.marines.mil/sja/Branches/ReserveLegalSupport(RLS).aspx for more.

I was unusually sad a few years ago. I first though I was sad because my wife died. Yet, even though I did all the things to "fix" that, I was still sad. So sad I sought out help. Apparently, I was not so much sad but had issues. ADHD issue to be specific. Was prescribed the proper amphetamine and did quite well. Frankly, everyone should have a little amphetamine in their lives. Yet, I had lived my life without much psychoactive drug support and felt the ADHD drug was more of a crutch than a solution. (By the by, I AM ADHD all my life. Telling the story to the psychiatrist of how my best teacher gave me the rule I must always be able to touch my desk through the day over the nonsense of "pay attention" of the risible nonsense they were trying to teach along with my constantly bouncing leg [I now sit on an exercise ball when at my work desk. Bouncing is fun and calming.] along with long stretches in a dark room clicking a button when the box is white, made it clear to the professional. Family history too.) The bottom line is I understand some of your struggle.

I'm not sure we are worse. If you want to get s...tuff done, come to me. My mind is racing and sometimes I don't take the time to fully consider things. But, when I do take the time, I get more resources than anyone else around. No one will out work me.

Don't get me wrong, we go to professionals for their expertise and taking ADHD medication certainly can bring us back to the middle of the bell curve. Do what your doctor says. You may try to convince differently. I was lucky in that I had a life of adaptation before the "help" and found I liked my adaptation over the help. I do admit the stimulants got me past my funk. I may be different from you.

All that being said, as the Marines at the link provided. They can address your specific situation. They have dealt with it before. Lots and lots of times before. Lots and lots and lots of times before. They have some way to determine the proper response. I think we would both agree it might not be a good thing if you are a close support helicopter pilot. An MP? Might not be as much of a problem. (Without having any knowledge. It may be the reverse, I don't know and was just supposing.) All I'm saying that if your situation is not a problem, it is not a problem. If it is...is it? Do you need or do you want the drug? Both are OK. Neither is a weakness. It's just that we make choices in life. When the choice affects others, we must convince. If a Marine issue, the convincing is hard. Sorry.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">