• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Adultery Charges

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

IlaDC

I am a civilian looking for some help!

I decided to get a divorce from my husband who is enlisted, one of the officers in his unit then started to date me, being a civilian I didn't know about the adultery issues with the UCMJ. We didn't legally separate, but we didn't need to since everything was agreeable. The officer told some people that we were dating and it spread quickly, next thing I knew is that the head of their unit handed papers over to the JAG to investigate. We ended it because of the drama that had been happening with word getting out. I know I am not going to get in trouble, but I am conflicted because the officer wants me to perjure myself and say we did not have relations, but I have a civilian legal career to uphold (no judgments I work in corporate law never studied military law). What exactly might happen, I am not sure of the process and what is going to happen to him. I don't want to throw my career away and perjure, but at the same time I feel horrible about this situation, it is his life, his whole career for almost 20 years now.

BTW I am officially divorced now and he also knew that I was not officially divorced when he started dating me.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
So, you can either do the right thing (morally and legally) or you can do the comfortable thing.

This speaks loudly to your character (not that the whole adultery thing doesn't...)

IlaDC

So, you can either do the right thing (morally and legally) or you can do the comfortable thing.

This speaks loudly to your character (not that the whole adultery thing doesn't...)
In the real world you can be separated and date other individuals while the paperwork is working its way through the system. Neither decision for me is comfortable, he helped me a lot through my divorce and something became of it, I wouldn't have started a relationship with him if I thought it broke a law. I am really looking to see if there is any middle ground where I can help him without injuring my career. I did not outright cheat my ex did know about it and he was fine with it.

Just Blue

In the real world you can be separated and date other individuals while the paperwork is working its way through the system. Neither decision for me is comfortable, he helped me a lot through my divorce and something became of it, I wouldn't have started a relationship with him if I thought it broke a law. I am really looking to see if there is any middle ground where I can help him without injuring my career. I did not outright cheat my ex did know about it and he was fine with it.
Are you an attorney? A paralegal? Assistant? What is the "career" that is in danger of injury?

latigo

I am a civilian looking for some help!

I decided to get a divorce from my husband who is enlisted, one of the officers in his unit then started to date me, being a civilian I didn't know about the adultery issues with the UCMJ. We didn't legally separate, but we didn't need to since everything was agreeable. The officer told some people that we were dating and it spread quickly, next thing I knew is that the head of their unit handed papers over to the JAG to investigate. We ended it because of the drama that had been happening with word getting out. I know I am not going to get in trouble, but I am conflicted because the officer wants me to perjure myself and say we did not have relations, but I have a civilian legal career to uphold (no judgments I work in corporate law never studied military law). What exactly might happen, I am not sure of the process and what is going to happen to him. I don't want to throw my career away and perjure, but at the same time I feel horrible about this situation, it is his life, his whole career for almost 20 years now.

BTW I am officially divorced now and he also knew that I was not officially divorced when he started dating me.
SO?

Are we to somehow negate Punitive Article 134?

IlaDC

I am an attorney have been for 6 years. I know this is just a witch hunt against me now, but maybe you should hear my story before being so haste to judge, my ex cheated on me constantly. First time when I was pregnant and then when he was overseas and when he was at training, do I need to continue. I came here asking for opinions on what happens and if there is middle ground for something that I felt was innocent at the time, not get judged. I didn't bring home STDs or a pregnant chick, I separated from my husband so he could go bang whomever he wants and I started what I thought was a legitimate innocent relationship with someone who was helping me through a hard time while my divorce papers were being finalized.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
I am an attorney have been for 6 years.
I'm calling bull (or troll.) As an attorney, the question of what is right wouldn't even arise. I'm not saying you'd make the RIGHT choice - just that you would know what the right choice is.

Mnemosyne

Call me old fashioned, but if you were having sexual intercourse, it wasn't an innocent relationship.

Casual, maybe. But not innocent.

I didn't bring home STDs or a pregnant chick, I separated from my husband so he could go bang whomever he wants and I started what I thought was a legitimate innocent relationship with someone who was helping me through a hard time while my divorce papers were being finalized.

Shadowbunny

Queen of the Not-Rights
I'm calling bull (or troll.) As an attorney, the question of what is right wouldn't even arise. I'm not saying you'd make the RIGHT choice - just that you would know what the right choice is.
I'm calling troll because her writing is so atrocious. But on the off chance that OP is telling the truth, here's my .02: OP, why would you want to be with a man who 1) knew what he was doing was wrong, and 2) wants you to LIE UNDER OATH to cover his own butt?

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
I am an attorney have been for 6 years. I know this is just a witch hunt against me now, but maybe you should hear my story before being so haste to judge, my ex cheated on me constantly. First time when I was pregnant and then when he was overseas and when he was at training, do I need to continue. I came here asking for opinions on what happens and if there is middle ground for something that I felt was innocent at the time, not get judged. I didn't bring home STDs or a pregnant chick, I separated from my husband so he could go bang whomever he wants and I started what I thought was a legitimate innocent relationship with someone who was helping me through a hard time while my divorce papers were being finalized.
You committed adultery. Plain and simple. If you decide to commit perjury, hand in your law license. That is unethical and can definitely get you disbarred. You don't deserve to be a lawyer. This is NOT a witch hunt against you -- your lover broke the law by screwing you. He knew the risks when he became involved with you.
YOU know the law and the rules. Deal with it. Commit perjury and lose your license, your job and your livelihood not to mention sacrifice your integrity, honesty, and any respect that anyone may give you. Prove that when you committed adultery you were selling your soul -- because quite frankly by considering lying for the man you screwed, you are acting like nothing but a cheap buy for sex.

Congrats. As an attorney this shouldn't even be a question for you.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
Not if she really wanted to whore herself out and feels that screwing him was worth her law license. I have never met anyone that good but maybe he is just a very expensive prostitute. Which actually makes her a john. HOW much was that sex worth, OP?

From one attorney to another -- no man is worth my law license, soul, integrity, honesty or anything else. Apparently though you are very cheap to sell out yourself. But nice excuse. If I find out who you are, I will report you and hope that you get your license stripped. We don't need lowlife, immoral, unethical individuals who will sell themselves out for a bit of sex to call themselves lawyers. Sweetie, you aren't a bastion of truth and integrity and justice. You are nothing more than a street piece of meat. Please return to the profession you were really made for -- selling it on the side of the road to the highest bidder.

yeah, not nice but quite frankly you have ticked me off -- its bad enough attorneys are the butt of jokes. We don't need attorneys who will sell themselves for a butt. Was he worth it?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">