• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Adultery in the Military: Marine Corps Times

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

marine

Feb. 7 2006 Issue
Regulating relationships

I was separated from active duty for having a consensual relationship with a female Marine not in my chain of command while I was separating from my former wife.

I admit I made a judgment error, and watching from the home front while my Marines are exposed to danger is more punishment than deserved. Yet, the female Marine involved was not sanctioned in any way and eventually was promoted. Since those days, many cases have existed where male Marines are court-martialed, kicked out or otherwise punished when the co-conspirator female Marine remains unscathed.

But it’s time the Marine Corps leadership takes a hard look at policies, both in terms of equality and application. These exclusions from justice devastate morale. The lip service of equality has a full coat of lipstick. Male Marines are held to higher standards, and female Marines are held on pedestals while entitled to lower standards of physical responsibility and requirement.

The leadership needs to focus more on equalizing expectations than trying to win the un-winnable war of close-quarter relationships. It’s a battle the Marine Corps cannot win.

Sensible directives need to be in place that would punish in situations where laws are violated.

Last edited by a moderator:

fozzy2

There is one important question: Was this "female marine" subordinate in rank? Generally speaking, when two military people engage in misconduct it is common for the higher ranking to be held to a higher standard. While circumstances naturally vary, it is not a case of treating "men and women equally." Rather, the military sees it as treating "each person according to accountability", which varies with rank and position. The idea that "every person should be treated equally" is at odds with the hierarchal structure of the military. Sometimes being senior helps (R.H.I.P.), sometimes it hurts, but it is rarely "the same"as being junior.

marine

fozzy

I concur, but with wanted to clarify one point. The argument isn't the senior shouldn't get recive the higher amount of punishment, it's the junior should receive SOME form of punishment. In my situation, I was a Sgt separated from active duty. The co-conspirator was a LCpl who received nothing (promoted to Sgt). In the JAG Capt's case, he is being ‘court martialed’ and she, a NCO, is receiving....nothing! I agree the senior person should receive a higher degree of punishment, but the junior should receive a modicum of punishment. In addition, a good portion of these juniors are serial offenders bouncing from one Marine to the next ruining careers in their wake.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">