• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

AFROTC Disenrollment - I want to pay the money back

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jam0012

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Alabama

Hi. I was in AFROTC from 2007, as a freshman, until my disenrollment July 2011. In fall 2010 I failed a class that set me back by one semester. I had previously had a commission date of May 2012 (I was granted a standard 5 years due to pursuing an engineering degree). Once I failed this class, I had to move my commission date to December 2012. This put me in Anticipatory Breach of Contract and I was disenrolled. My detachment commander recommended that they consider monetary recoupment, but they chose to require me to enlist for 2 years. I appealed to the Air Force Board for the Correction of Military Records (AFBCMR) to no avail. They, too, denied my request to switch my obligation. I don't want to serve enlisted. I want to pay the money back. What can I do? I will be receiving orders soon.

A couple of other questions:
If I get orders and show up to MEPS overweight, what happens? Will my obligation change?
Is there any way, short of injuring myself or doing something else stupid that I can get out of enlistment? I am trying to honor my commitment while also being fair - if I was disenrolled 18 mts prior, I would've been given the option to repay automatically (I know a guy from my detachment who did).

Thanks in advance!

OHRoadwarrior

The possibility exists you could face charges. You are subject to military law. I can see it now: 2 - 4 in prison for a bad grade and chocolate donuts.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">