• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Am I entitled to severance pay?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

TransitionalLdy

I was recently reduced in rank from SSG(P) to SGT. The charge did not result in either a bar to reenlistment or initiation of seperation. My ETS date is 11/30/13 and BASD is 10/03/2000. Current policy states that the RCP for a nonpromotable SGT is 13 yrs. Due to this reduction, my RCP was reached on 10/4/2013. My question is, am I entitled to severance based on these findings? Again, I am not being separated for legal or medical reasons. Thank you ahead of time for your assistance

milmom

I was recently reduced in rank from SSG(P) to SGT. The charge did not result in either a bar to reenlistment or initiation of seperation. My ETS date is 11/30/13 and BASD is 10/03/2000. Current policy states that the RCP for a nonpromotable SGT is 13 yrs. Due to this reduction, my RCP was reached on 10/4/2013. My question is, am I entitled to severance based on these findings? Again, I am not being separated for legal or medical reasons. Thank you ahead of time for your assistance
The army reg says "SOLDIERS NOT SERVING ON AN INDEFINITE REENLISTMENT, WHO REACH THEIR RCP DURING THEIR CURRENT ENLISTMENT AGREEEMENT THROUGH LENGTH OF SERVICE, REDUCTION IN GRADE, OR BY REMOVAL FROM A PROMOTION LIST (EITHER VOLUNTARY OR INVOLUNTARY) WILL PERFORM ACTIVE SERVICE UNTIL THEIR CONTRACTED EXPIRATION TERM OF SERVICE (ETS), UNLESS THEY ARE SEPARATED EARLIER UNDER APPLICABLE ADMINISTRATIVE, PHYSICAL DISABILITY, OR UNIFORM CODE OF MILITARY JUSTICE (UCMJ) SEPARATION PROVISIONS"

So you won't technically be getting separated due to high year tenure, you just would probably not be allowed to reenlist. Severance is for those involuntarily separated. Sounds like a technicality that would not get you a severance. I'd talk to a career counselor for some clarification.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">