• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Army breeched contract, now what?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Miranda517

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Question: here's a toughie, but here it goes: My Boyfriend signed up for the army in his late teens, (17) (he's 49 now)On the buddy system. The military breeched the contract, as they sent his buddy off to another location, and my boyfriend to another, thus my boyfriend approached his SRGT, and was told in so many words 'Too bad'. He went straight to an attorney and a few days later he was called to the armory to turn his equiptment, clothes, etc and was given an Honorable discharge and then released. In total he served 18 months to 2 yrs, give or take.
My question is: Is my boyfriend still entitled to a DD214, military benefits, VA loans? What type of an attorney handles these issues, a contract lawyer or another kind? I appreciate any all advice. By the way, he was stationed in Fort Knox, KY and was released from Phillipsburg, KS at the time of these events. We now reside in the Austin/San Antonio area of Texas.

LdiJ

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Question: here's a toughie, but here it goes: My Boyfriend signed up for the army in his late teens, (17) (he's 49 now)On the buddy system. The military breeched the contract, as they sent his buddy off to another location, and my boyfriend to another, thus my boyfriend approached his SRGT, and was told in so many words 'Too bad'. He went straight to an attorney and a few days later he was called to the armory to turn his equiptment, clothes, etc and was given an Honorable discharge and then released. In total he served 18 months to 2 yrs, give or take.
My question is: Is my boyfriend still entitled to a DD214, military benefits, VA loans? What type of an attorney handles these issues, a contract lawyer or another kind? I appreciate any all advice. By the way, he was stationed in Fort Knox, KY and was released from Phillipsburg, KS at the time of these events. We now reside in the Austin/San Antonio area of Texas.
My dad served a full 4 year hitch in the army when he was young and he was not entitled to any kind of benefits from that.

I hope someone can answer your question accurately but I am suspecting that he is not entitled to anything.

Proserpina

My dad served a full 4 year hitch in the army when he was young and he was not entitled to any kind of benefits from that.

I hope someone can answer your question accurately but I am suspecting that he is not entitled to anything.

He should, actually. Not all benefits are automatic, but he should certainly have his DD214 and he'd possibly qualify for some bens.

He should already have the DD214 actually but if he doesn't, he can go here and start:

http://www.archives.gov/veterans/military-service-records/

davidmcbeth3

He sure is .. depending on the benefits given at the time ... lets see 49-17=31 yrs ago. That puts him in the service in about the early 80's, late 70's. Drat, no good benefits during that time period.

OP, what benefits do you think he may be entitled to (w/o guessing)?

justalayman

Miranda517;2941133] Is my boyfriend still entitled to a DD214,
yes. That is the "report of separation" which is simply a record of his time in the military. If he was in, he has a DD214.

military benefits,
what benefits?

VA loans?
probable

What type of an attorney handles these issues, a contract lawyer or another kind?
why would a lawyer be required? Is he being denied some benefit he believes he is entitled to? If so, what benefit?

If you are thinking he is entitled to something because the terms of his enlistment were not followed, he would be wrong. They terminated the contract due to the situation. That is all he would be entitled to.

Last edited:

davew128

I see that. Maybe it's some base like Area 51 and nobody knows about it/:eek::p
It's not commonly known, but for almost 20 years now, first the USAF and now an international coalition of nations has been operating a covert operation out of Cheyenne Mountain called the "Stargate Program". Supposedly it involves contact with alien worlds. ;)

Miranda517

Thank you for all of these responses!

Many Thanks to all of you.
My boyfriend recently told me of his military days, and I felt that he went in (signed up) to fight and even die for his country, and make his career military. The contract was strictly on the buddy system, and the military split the two men up, therefore breaking the contract, ending his time there and 'releasing' him from Phillipsburg as I mentioned. He had no intention of leaving, but when they broke the contract, he went to an attorney and left. This was not his intention, but he didnt break the contract-they did.
SO, this brings me back to the assumption that he is entitled to military benefits as he did serve for a short time and had an honorable discharge due to the military's breech of contract. He was still a veteran. Am I correct in saying this? I am thankful for the links that some of you sent, his papers were lost in a fire, so Im starting from scratch.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
There is only so much YOU can do here. Your BF is going to have to step up to the plate.

But, how do you now his discharge was honorable?

Alsot would seem that your BF is not a combat veteran. Things can be different based on whether one was in a combat zone.

For the record - I have the utmost respect for veterans, whether they saw combat or not...

It's not commonly known, but for almost 20 years now, first the USAF and now an international coalition of nations has been operating a covert operation out of Cheyenne Mountain called the "Stargate Program". Supposedly it involves contact with alien worlds. ;)
I have seen a lot of documentaries concerning the Stargate program.

Miranda517

Honorable discharge

He told me it was honorable discharge due to the fact that they broke his contract. He was about to be 'sent out' at the time that they split him and his best friend up. All training was done...

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">