• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Army DCSS

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

johnnyjack12345

I am active duty army. I have been in for 46 months as of now. My first tour was one year in Korea, then 2 years in Germany. I reenlisted in 2013 for 3 years so as of now I have 26 months left until I ETS and am stationed at Fort Hood, Texas. I have never had adverse action against me or a flag. I am absolutely miserable in the military and I do not wish to continue my career. With my time remaining in service as just over two years, would I be able to sign a DCSS and request separation? I just pcs'd to Fort Hood about a month ago and am not on orders to go anywhere else. Also, if I cannot sign a dcss now if my unit tried to send me on a 9 month deployment could I sign a DCSS for that?

Thank you.

pattimelt

That's not helpful. Does anyone else have anything to contribute?
In order to sign a DCSS which is a Declination of Continued Service Statement, you must meet three criteria:

A) on your second or subsequent reenlistment
B) on assignment instructions for an assignment with a tour length that ends after your current ETS
C) eligible to reenlist

A DCSS is not a tool designed to offer a soldier a method to request an early out.

A DCSS is offered to a soldier who meets all three of the above criteria who is declining to stay on active duty to meet assignment instructions. The Army is not going to force a soldier to reenlist to comply with assignment instructions - which is why the DCSS exists.

Shadowbunny

Queen of the Not-Rights
I am active duty army. I have been in for 46 months as of now. My first tour was one year in Korea, then 2 years in Germany. I reenlisted in 2013 for 3 years so as of now I have 26 months left until I ETS and am stationed at Fort Hood, Texas. I have never had adverse action against me or a flag. I am absolutely miserable in the military and I do not wish to continue my career. With my time remaining in service as just over two years, would I be able to sign a DCSS and request separation? I just pcs'd to Fort Hood about a month ago and am not on orders to go anywhere else. Also, if I cannot sign a dcss now if my unit tried to send me on a 9 month deployment could I sign a DCSS for that?

Thank you.
Johnnyjack, pattimelt's post covered the reasons why you aren't eligible for DCSS, so I won't comment on that. However, I do want to address your being miserable. Please get with the Chaplain, Behavioral Health, or even call Military OneSource for counseling services. You may not be able to get out of your enlistment obligation, but there are ways to not be miserable.

Good luck, johnnyjack.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">