• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

army reserve discharge advice

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

mara68

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? NY
I am a captain in the army reserves who participated in the new specialized training assistance program. I have received loan repayments and stipend money. I have not done OBT and am currently pregnant. Since I was appointed 2/00 I have come to realize that my recruiter lied to me on two issues which we discussed and were known to be deal breakers for me. First, although as a doctor I technically have non-combatant status, I can be deployed to a combat zone, will be required to carry a gun and to shoot at people. I cannot do this. My job description as my recruiter told me (yes I am aware that he lied now) was to back-fill in hospitals stateside or in non-combat zones abroad for those active duty doctors that would be pulled to a combat zone. The second issues involves the family care plan which I am required to fill out (my husband is a major in the army reserves). I was assured by my recruiter that married reservists with dependents were never deployed at the same time. I will never fill out the family care plan and give over custody of my children to someone else as long as I am alive. I am not sure of how to approach these problems but I am willing to repay the government no matter how long it takes.

Davidzill

How much longer is you commision? You got to be careful with these recruiters. In your case if there is anything in your contract in writing that says you are limited to CONUS or non-combative areas of operations, and they try to send you to Iraq, they are breaching you contract. But if this is something your recruiter just told you, then you are screwed, and they will deploy you and charge you for everyday they have your children in a foster home if you have no one to give them to, so you come back from Iraq broke. I wouldn't dare give my kids away for the Army; if I were you I would try to resign your commision asap.

if she resigns her commission, she could end up finsishing her carrer as enlisted. it would suck to go from captain to PVT. but i know that if you fail to come up with a family care plan then the military has no choice but to get rid of you..

lvn4ever

there is so much on the line for you here as a young doctor and mother, too. Don't fret about wild speculation at this point. You DO have a problem, but guess work is not helpful. BADAPPLE, who posts here, is a military atty who can give SOUND advice. Also, read through all your documents and contracts carefully and see what is in black and white. You might be able to resolve this through the IG (Inspector General), the recruiting command (keep going up the chain of command) or it might be helpful to talk to a civilian attorney that specializes in these matters. The costs of the atty would be well worth the benefit. CHeck this website for lists of attys that work in this realm...i think there is a list posted recently in a thread about a fatality/drunk driver situation. If you can't find the list, let me know and I will go back and search for it.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">