• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Asthma- what happens next ?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

lee89

Kentucky National Guard.
I was diagnosed with asthma as a kid but never had any problems with it. I played football and ran track starting in 5th grade and all up through high school. Prior to enlisting I took a respiratory test that showed no trace of asthma. BCT and AIT went with no problems, in fact I maxed my run time for the APFT at Fort Huacha in AIT(ran 12:37) Nov. 2011. Now I can not pass the run, it takes me 19-20+ mins to run the 2 miles. I can't hardly run faster than a 10 min 1 mile pace. My civilian Dr. said I need to be limited to running 1 mile at a time to control my asthma.
I don't know what is going to happen due to the fact I did not inform the military of my childhood asthma. My MOS does not require running. Please help

sandyclaus

Kentucky National Guard.
I was diagnosed with asthma as a kid but never had any problems with it. I played football and ran track starting in 5th grade and all up through high school. Prior to enlisting I took a respiratory test that showed no trace of asthma. BCT and AIT went with no problems, in fact I maxed my run time for the APFT at Fort Huacha in AIT(ran 12:37) Nov. 2011. Now I can not pass the run, it takes me 19-20+ mins to run the 2 miles. I can't hardly run faster than a 10 min 1 mile pace. My civilian Dr. said I need to be limited to running 1 mile at a time to control my asthma.
I don't know what is going to happen due to the fact I did not inform the military of my childhood asthma. My MOS does not require running. Please help
Asthma is a disqualifier if you have been reliably diagnosed and symptomatic after your 13th birthday. However individuals DO MEET the standard if within the past 3 years they meet ALL of the following criteria:
  • No use of controller or rescue medications (including, but not limited to inhaled corticosteroids, leukotriene receptor antagonists, or short-acting beta agonists).
  • No exacerbations requiring acute medical treatment.
  • No use of oral steroids.
  • A current normal spirometry (within the past 90 days), performed in accordance with American Thoracic Society (ATS) guidelines and as defined by current National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute (NHLBI) standards.

While you had no symptoms for the past 3 years, it appears that your asthma has now become a problem. It sounds like you have exercise-induced asthma, and running is not the only trigger for that to happen.

You're going to need to speak to your command and let them know that your asthma has returned and let them know what the doctor has told you. They will probably end up discharging you because, since you are now symptomatic, you probably would no longer qualify medically.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">