• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

AWOL after basic training

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shredder2929

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? OH

Me and a friend went AWOL 3-4 days after we got to AIT we thought we'd get better with AIT and adapt more but we still didn't, I can only speak on my behalf but that was what he said too, we ended up calling the GIRIGHTS hotline and listening to them about AWOL, so we did it and now I'm starting to second guess myself , is it as simple as staying away for 30 days and turning yourself in at Ft. Sill after calling to verify your dropped from rolls from ft know at Ft. Knox? I understand there's a federal warrant once your DFR I just want out, I tried to tell my commanding officers and they just threathened to court martial me if I didn't train so that's why we left, we've been AWOL for 6 days now I was thinking a it turning myself in so I decided to call my captain and talk to him, he wanted to help work with me and said he would get me a choice that involved being discharged and no court martial, but once he called me back after talking to our battalion commander that went out the window and he said there's no guarantee what will happen. I asked if I was gonna at least be discharged and I'll take whatever type of punishment, he said he can't even tell me if I'll be discharged, so what are they gonna do? Just punish me until I agree to train and finish out my active duty contract? I need some advice please. So I wait 30 days or until DFR and turn myself in? Or do I take a chance and turn myself in now?

TigerD

Jump up and down and shout pop.

Now that you have pulled your head out; soldier up and go do your job. You are going to face discipline for your actions. And you should. Your choice here will set the tone for the rest of your life. Don't be a dirtbag.

TD

damned if ya do, damned if ya don't

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? OH

Me and a friend went AWOL 3-4 days after we got to AIT we thought we'd get better with AIT and adapt more but we still didn't, I can only speak on my behalf but that was what he said too, we ended up calling the GIRIGHTS hotline and listening to them about AWOL, so we did it and now I'm starting to second guess myself , is it as simple as staying away for 30 days and turning yourself in at Ft. Sill after calling to verify your dropped from rolls from ft know at Ft. Knox? I understand there's a federal warrant once your DFR I just want out, I tried to tell my commanding officers and they just threathened to court martial me if I didn't train so that's why we left, we've been AWOL for 6 days now I was thinking a it turning myself in so I decided to call my captain and talk to him, he wanted to help work with me and said he would get me a choice that involved being discharged and no court martial, but once he called me back after talking to our battalion commander that went out the window and he said there's no guarantee what will happen. I asked if I was gonna at least be discharged and I'll take whatever type of punishment, he said he can't even tell me if I'll be discharged, so what are they gonna do? Just punish me until I agree to train and finish out my active duty contract? I need some advice please. So I wait 30 days or until DFR and turn myself in? Or do I take a chance and turn myself in now?
First thing I'd do is loose that looser of a friend that talked you in to going AWOL.
And you will have federal warrant issued that will follow you to your grave.
Would they court martial you ...no telling but they'd probably just cut you loose and be done with you.

I would consider trying to stay in and make a real attempt at it. a dishonorable or general discharge doesn't look too good on a job application and if you put some more time in...it might come to grow on you.
Give it some thought.

..____________________________
~ The only thing in life achieved without effort, is failure.

Shredder2929

First thing I'd do is loose that looser of a friend that talked you in to going AWOL.
And you will have federal warrant issued that will follow you to your grave.
Would they court martial you ...no telling but they'd probably just cut you loose and be done with you.

I would consider trying to stay in and make a real attempt at it. a dishonorable or general discharge doesn't look too good on a job application and if you put some more time in...it might come to grow on you.
Give it some thought.

..____________________________
~ The only thing in life achieved without effort, is failure.

First off he didn't talk me into going AWOL we decided to do it together, if you're not adapting to the lifestyle of the military you can't just force it on someone to get use to it, I just want discharged and the best option that was thrown at me was AWOL and wait 30 days to be dfr then turn myself in once the federal warrant is issued

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">