• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

AWOL/Deserter since around 2010

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

gpwn

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? FL

I went awol around 2010 from my AIT unit in GA.
I was arrested for being AWOL/Deserter almost 3 weeks ago. My parents had called DIP (fort hood tx i guess?) and they spoke to someone there that told them they knew i had been arrested and were working on getting someone to pick me up. The person told them that i was going to be picked up and taken to ft knox ky.
My parents asked for a phone number where they could get more information about whats going on and they gave them a phone number to a captain (AWOL civil liaison or something like that in ft stewart GA (warrant was issued from there also). after trying to contact him for almost 3 weeks, my dad got a hold of him and he (the liaison) had me released to my dad on the condition that i take a flight (which they paid for) back to ft gordon. On the paperwork they sent over it said i was to surrender myself to MPs.
Included in the paperwork was a provisional pass which has the unit i left listed under "organization".

I really just want to be discharged so i can forget about the biggest mistake ive made in my life (joining the army)

I'm afraid that the unit is going to keep me there for a while or try to force me to stay in or something...

Does anyone know why im being sent back to my unit instead of knox like we were originally told?
Is it possible that once i get there, they just send me to ft knox?
What would happen if i went to knox instead of gordon?

I read a post
https://forum.freeadvice.com/military-law-92/new-ft-sill-pcf-army-awol-returnee-story-531664.html
in which a user says he turned him self into his AIT unit and they sent him to knox.

Im 21 years old now, i wanted to turn my self in but i got a job and that has kept me from turning my self in at knox or sill..

im going to be honest, im very frightened by the mess i created for myself... i dont want to leave my family...
My flight is scheduled to leave today at 2PM. I dont plan on going awol or anything, i just want to get this over and done with...

THANK YOU for any help!

UPDATE 1:
I'm currently waiting for pick-up by MPs at the airport in Augusta, GA.

When I got off my flight, I went looking for maybe an army liaison here but found none. I decided to go to the marshal here and she called the MPs at Gordon up for me. The marshals here were very understanding about the whole thing, they're very nice.. Although they're not really getting involved because I have no warrant for my arrest etc.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">