• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

awol for over a decade

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

awolperson

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California

I've read many of the first hand stories on here from folks who went awol and turned themselves in. Thanks to everyone who has posted their story on here. I've never seen anything that really matches my situation. I'm hoping someone might have some info to share with me. I've been awol for over 10 years. I just left and never went back. They stopped paying me, but never looked for me. I've been living a normal life. I've traveled outside the u.s. and returned with no trouble. Worked, filed taxes, etc. In the beginning, I called a few times to see if they received my deserter package. The last time I called (yrs ago), I'd already been awol for about 5 years (maybe longer, I really don't even remember). They had no paperwork on me. To this day there is no warrant for my arrest. I don't think the Army Deserter hotline or whatever it is gives out info anymore about your status. I want to turn myself in. I know they don't want me after all this time, but I'm worried that I will be in some insane paperwork limbo and the process will take longer. I'm also in poor health now and I'm worried if I will be able to take care of myself and take medication while I wait for them to sort me out. I'm also nervous about being away from home and my regular doctors. Does anyone have any info about a situation like this. GI rights said they could try to help me turn myself in and get admitted to a hospital while I get discharged, but I have no idea if that is possible.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">