• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

AWOL Returnee August 2011- AWOL from Iraq 2008 - Happy ending

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ulsterjack

I have been meaning to write this post for the past 18 months to assuage the fears of the fellow deserters and criminals in my company.

I have read some stuff on here, but by far, I think I got away with the most.

When I was 18, I enlisted January 07, OSUT at Benning, 11B, graduated in May, deployed to Iraq with a jacked up unit out of Ft. Lewis. Got my CIB and purple heart for a concussion. Feel free to hate.

Was sent on 2 week leave back to the states in December 07, and never came back. Call me anything you want, I don't care. I planned it, shipped most of my personal stuff home, left the battle buddies steal the rest (including a really neat Mk III SMLE Lee-Enfield I confiscated off one of our detainees). Too bad.

I was super nervous, afraid the rear detachment was going to send the local cops to pick me up (they didnt) and I was terrified that a warrant had been put out for my arrest.
Unfortunately I didnt know any police officers who could check the NCID for me, so I just assumed there was a warrant out for me.

I lived in constant fear of being arrested. I was afraid when I was driving, afraid when the phone rang, afraid when the door rang.

Within about 2 weeks of being home, i enrolled in the local community college and started taking classes.

A year later I transferred to a large university.

To support my self, I worked a series of ****ty jobs, which is what most college kids do.

I lived the life of a college frat boy - lived in the dorm, hooked up with chicks, got drunk.

I never passed myself of as a soldier- again I always had this fear.

I told my friends about why I was back, and being from the liberal north east, accepted my decision. My father, a 20 year regular Army veteran of Vietnam, the Gulf War, and a 20 year veteran of the national guard who actually went to Iraq in 2008 while I was AWOL supported my decision. No idea why he did, I still am amazed.

2 years later I graduated with a bachelor of arts, and I realized it was time to pay the piper.

I received a letter in the mail telling me to report to the PCF at Knox and that a warrant was being put out for my arrest.

In August 2011, I manned up and drove 15 hours south to Kentucky, where I approached the main gate and asked to be directed to the provost marshall. I Was waived through and I drove around the base for an hour, questioning myself, and fearing Leavenworth. Worse, I feared being sent back to my unit (who I will not name, but know they suffered many casualties during the "surge" which I was part of)

I walked into the MP station, told the duty officer I was returning to military control. He knew the drill, and put me in a small office, and had me fill out some paperwork, admitting who I was, and fingerprinting me. He made a phone call and told me I would be staying there.

My biggest fear of being sent back to my unit was over.

I was lead over to the PCF, issued a bed, some PT gear and some ACUs.

There were about 10 other deserters in there, most of them had fled basic training or their units. Most were pretty nice guys who just wanted to go home. I was the only one who had been deployed.

After a few days, I met with the First Sergeant, who had me sign some paper work, explaining that I will never be able to serve again, etc and that no one will hire me. I did not mouth off to him, I was just so grateful to know that I was going to be free in a few days.

You meet with some people, including a lawyer, who explains your discharge (Chapter 10, other than honorable). A woman explains your VA benefits (or lack thereof)

Within 5 days you are free. I advise getting there on a Monday morning, so you are out by Friday. Take your own car. Otherwise it is a long bus ride to Louisville, and you will need a taxi to get to Knox from there.

All in all, not a bad experience. The OTH has not affected me in the slightest.

I have a decent job with an insurance company in New York City, and I make 4 times more than I ever did as a private now.

Suclk up the sham, suck up the fear. Don't let any one call you names.

You might have failed, but you have the rest of your life ahead of you. Go to college, fall in love, get a job, have kids, and don't let your own kids make the same mistakes as you. PM if you have any questions.

Less than 1/10 of 1% of Americans have served.

Coward, deserter, **** bag or not - at least you tried, god damn it.

TigerD

I still think you should have been taken out to the parade field and faced a firing squad.

DC

He wasn't AWOL, he was a deserter. Desertion during a time of war can be punishable by execution. He got very lucky. Anyone who reads his post and follows his very bad advice, may not have it so easy.

la0351

Unforunate but accurate

Actually this persons post is while unfortunate fairly indicative of what happens nowadays. They aren't going to waste time or money on you. They will just give you the boot. Simple as that.

umkemesic

lol these comments.

Yeah, they will not waste time or money on deserters. Well, it really depends on the branch and unit. The USAF almost has few awol/desertions so they actually do prosecute when they come up whereas the Army has so many they just boot them.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">