• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Background check for job??

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

kickedoutofAF

What is the name of your state?NH

Ok.... While stationed at Randolph AFB, TX, I was discharged from the AF 14 months ago for possession of marijuana. I recieved five months confinement and a General, under honorable conditions, Discharge. Since then, I have had four jobs that all required background checks. I've never listed the charge on any application or told any employer about it and have gotten away with it... Now, I'm applying for a really good job which requires a notorized permission slip for a state criminal background check. This kind of scared me because I'm used to just signing a form.

So I guess my question is, do you think they will check out of NH?

Does the AF report misdemeanors to anyone? Is it on my criminal record? My lawyer told me they usually don't report them outside of the military?

Any help would be appreciated..

Last edited:

fozzy2

General military policy is that as a part of processing at any confinement facility, your fingerprint and final disposition forms will be forwarded to the feds for inclusion in their database if:
1) you received a dismissal or punitive discharge
2) the maximum sentence for your crime was 1 year or more (regardless of what your actual sentence was).
3) the offense was not "militarily unique"

As per AR-190-47 (10-2), but I think all services have identical standards

If you meet those requirments, you should be 'in the system' for certain. There are also sundry other ways to get entered, however.

kickedoutofAF

Does it have to be all three? Or just one?

My discharge wasn't really punitive.. It was General, under honoroble conditions. And sentence was was only five months??

Last edited:

kickedoutofAF

I just did an online criminal background check for the state of TX and the county I was in.. And nothing came up? Does that mean I'm in the clear?

fozzy2

kickedoutofAF said:
Does it have to be all three? Or just one?

My discharge wasn't really punitive.. It was General, under honoroble conditions. And sentence was was only five months??

Sorry, all three. The maximum sentence for the crime -- not necesarily what you were given -- has to be one year or longer. Once again, however, this is not the only way your criminal record can get into the 'system.' Sometimes it is hit or miss.

Your DD-214 SPD code may reflect your drug charge specifically, or a crime more generally. An employer 'in the know' wouldn't even have to run a background check.

And finally, to be quite honest, lying on job applications is probably not a good general policy (and can sometimes be a crime). Just because your record does not show up on a a certain database check does not mean you don't have a record. Perhaps its tempting to just "forget" and take that nice job -- but you will always be one breath away from being fired.

DRTDEVL

What is your separation code and RE code on your DD 214? I can look them up for you and see if it is glaringly obvious.

kickedoutofAF

Where does it say that? I'm looking at my DD Form 214 right now.

I can't find where it says type of discharge on it?

What if the employer didn't even ask for it?

DRTDEVL

There are 2 different DD214 forms... The short and the long.

On the long form, look at the bottom. You will see several blocks: 23. TYPE OF SEPARATION, 24. CHARACTER OF SERVICE, 25. SEPARATION AUTHORITY, 26. SEPARATION CODE, 27. REENLISTMENT CODE, 28. NARRATIVE REASON FOR SEPARATION, 29. DATES OF TIME LOST DURING THIS PERIOD, 30. MEMBER REQUESTS COPY 4.

What is in block 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, and 28?

fozzy2

kickedoutofAF said:
Where does it say that? I'm looking at my DD Form 214 right now.

I can't find where it says type of discharge on it?

What if the employer didn't even ask for it?

It probably says "SPD code" and has a three letter code, in your case maybe a 'GKQ' or 'JJE' or 'GKK' or....who knows.

kickedoutofAF

I can't find it right now. I think I lost it in a move. Do you think it matters what it says if they didn't check it?

I remember in one of the boxes it says misconduct and in another it explaines something about drugs(I looked it up myself a long time ago).

I checked the state and county where I was when it happened and there's no record of it. So I'm hoping they didn't check the FBI database. They didn't take my fingerprint..

DRTDEVL

They don't need to take your fingerprints... THEY ARE ALREADY ON FILE! They took them at MEPS when you signed up.

kickedoutofAF

OK.. Hopefully they wont check the database then. If so, I'm screwed.. I don't think they will. I heard it cost a lot of money and jobs don't do it unless it's government.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">