• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

boyfriend awol national guard

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

angelleigh

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? ohio

ok first off i know theres alot of awol posts already but i want all the info i can get on my boyfriends specific case if i can.
secondly i dont want to be bashed for him going awol... its not helpful.

my boyfriend who was an MP in the national guard for 2 years just went awol 2 days ago and we are trying to figure out how to handle this situation. he was supposed to be discharged already for failing his drug test and refusing rehab but they hadnt given him the discharge papers by the time he was scheduled for training to go to iraq, he has also been in trouble for possesion/use of pills but wasnt discharged for that either... his unit is scheduled to deploy for iraq in january... he plans on being awol as long as it takes for him not to go overseas which i believe would make him a deserter and something about missing movement.

what i want to know is...
if he turns himself in before his awol status becomes a deserter will he be discharged and possibly face jail time? or will he just have his rank stripped and be sent to iraq anyway?

if he does turn himself in after the 30 days of being awol and is dfr will he still be considered for pcf since hes supposed to be deploying?

how do we find out if/when he is dfr?

he has a 14 month old daughter and is the only son in his family, he was also diagnosed with bronchitus and given an inhaler, and is vice president of a small business thats still in its first year of opperation that WILL FAIL if he is deployed, he also gets anxiety attacks when he even thinks of deploying... does any of that matter?

there are so many questions i have that i cant think of all of them right now lol but any help or information would be greatly appreciated.... we just want to put all this behind us and move on....

he has a 14 month old daughter and is the only son in his family, he was also diagnosed with bronchitus and given an inhaler, and is vice president of a small business thats still in its first year of opperation that WILL FAIL if he is deployed, he also gets anxiety attacks when he even thinks of deploying... does any of that matter?

Of course it does. He is the only soldier in the armed forces with a child, a mild sickness, fiscal responsibilities, and a general fear of the unknown awaiting him overseas. He should have just told the National Guard about all these things in the first place.

His business is destined to fail anyways, he is a drug addict. After his BCD it may become more difficult to secure business loans, licenses, and government mandated permits. The best way "to put this all behind you" is for him to go back and face the music. I doubt that is what is going to happen though. Your boyfriend is no different then the dozens of other deserters that have posted on this board so please re-read the posts and pull your information from there.

Raine19

Another LOOSER

My granddaughter has brain cancer and her father has been AWOL/DESERTER since August. What is he doing for his daughter? NOTHING! Asthma has medicines, get over it. Your husband/boyfriend is a LOOSER!
What is happening to these young kids? This isn't a game, we're at WAR!:eek:

SHDR85

My advice would be to turn himself in long before deserter status. When you have been given orders to deploy, and you go AWOL as to avoid deployment, the punishment is much more severe. He can get discharged for so many other things and in other ways. I understand his frustration and desire to be out of the military, but do it the legit way. I am a deserter as we speak, and life is hard knowing the punishment that I will face because I didn't just go back when I could and seek discharge the proper way. I would go back before he is DFR'd because at that point, it's a point of no return. He would almost definitely face Court Martial, and going AWOL to prevent being deployed has some severe consequences! Good Luck~!:rolleyes:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">