• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can a Army Reserve soldier be odered to complete online courses between monthly drill

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

ragnar

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? UCMJ

I am currently in the Army Reserves and have a question about lawful orders during non drill weekends. This might be a long shot but recently it was put down threw our chain of command that our Battalion Commander wants everyone to complete quite a long checklist of online classes on our own time, maybe 10+ hours worth of online courses varying from cyber security with social media, anti suicide classes, to accident avoidance courses. When I brought up the fact that not all soldiers have access to a computer that has a ID card reader or have the time to complete online training with a busy civilian job and family life I was told they need to find a way and will be negatively counseled if all training was not completed by a certain time.

My question is can my chain of command negatively council or in any way punish soldiers that do not complete these mandated online courses on their own time? It was my understanding that the UCMJ does not apply to Reserve soldiers when not on orders or drill weekends, and therefore we cannot be ordered to complete online courses when not on a drill weekend. Am I correct in this understanding?

Thanks,

Silverplum

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? UCMJ

I am currently in the Army Reserves and have a question about lawful orders during non drill weekends. This might be a long shot but recently it was put down threw our chain of command that our Battalion Commander wants everyone to complete quite a long checklist of online classes on our own time, maybe 10+ hours worth of online courses varying from cyber security with social media, anti suicide classes, to accident avoidance courses. When I brought up the fact that not all soldiers have access to a computer that has a ID card reader or have the time to complete online training with a busy civilian job and family life I was told they need to find a way and will be negatively counseled if all training was not completed by a certain time.

My question is can my chain of command negatively council or in any way punish soldiers that do not complete these mandated online courses on their own time? It was my understanding that the UCMJ does not apply to Reserve soldiers when not on orders or drill weekends, and therefore we cannot be ordered to complete online courses when not on a drill weekend. Am I correct in this understanding?

Thanks,
You can't be bothered with that knowledge?

I Googled "army reserve online training," and up came a bazillion results showing that the trainings are mandatory. If you want to go read about it, I suggest you do so. I'm not going to explain to you why you should be happy to receive training, why you should obey your COs, etc. The fact that you are asking shows it's not worth MY time.

ragnar

There's always someone who has to take a **** on these type of questions isn't there :rolleyes:

Yes, the training is mandatory... when we are being paid on drill status or military orders. You failed to read the part were I am a reservist asking if I or my soldiers can be ordered to take what basically is a don't be a rapist class or a "safety class" that tells me not to drive when I'm sleepy on MY time when I am not being paid or subject to UCMJ. Don't get me wrong, I am sooo appreciative of the Army to be gracious enough to teach me how to not sexually harass my subordinates every other month. As you might be able to gather I have better uses of my time after I get off work at my civilian job and so do my soldiers.

Funny my Google search for "army reserve online training," took me to a bunch of .mil websites one particularly is where you access the online training I am speaking of. Of course is says the training is mandatory, because it is; for the entire military and it's a .mil website. To reiterate my question I am asking if I can be required to complete this repetitive fiscal year online training when I am on non drilling status. There's no harm in asking, if it turns out I have to do training I'll find some time. God forbid I ask someone else who might be more knowledgeable than myself on the subject then spend the entire night reading military regs to maybe find an informed answer.

I welcome an educated response from someone a little less condescending and opinionated. Thanks,

Silverplum

I see you've managed to type up a response.

:rolleyes:

There's always someone who has to take a **** on these type of questions isn't there :rolleyes:

Yes, the training is mandatory... when we are being paid on drill status or military orders. You failed to read the part were I am a reservist asking if I or my soldiers can be ordered to take what basically is a don't be a rapist class or a "safety class" that tells me not to drive when I'm sleepy on MY time when I am not being paid or subject to UCMJ. Don't get me wrong, I am sooo appreciative of the Army to be gracious enough to teach me how to not sexually harass my subordinates every other month. As you might be able to gather I have better uses of my time after I get off work at my civilian job and so do my soldiers.

Funny my Google search for "army reserve online training," took me to a bunch of .mil websites one particularly is where you access the online training I am speaking of. Of course is says the training is mandatory, because it is; for the entire military and it's a .mil website. To reiterate my question I am asking if I can be required to complete this repetitive fiscal year online training when I am on non drilling status. There's no harm in asking, if it turns out I have to do training I'll find some time. God forbid I ask someone else who might be more knowledgeable than myself on the subject then spend the entire night reading military regs to maybe find an informed answer.

I welcome an educated response from someone a little less condescending and opinionated. Thanks,
You would "spend the entire night reading military regs (sic)" to avoid taking ten hours of online training. Yes, you sure would. Be sure to let us know how that goes for you.

ragnar

Reading is key my literate friend ;)

I'm asking here so that I might get the answer or maybe even pointed in the right direction to find the answer, before I blindly dive into the regulations that is. An yes reading threw random military regulations really does sound like a better use of my time. Go troll someone else.

Silverplum

Reading is key my literate friend ;)

I'm asking here so that I might get the answer or maybe even pointed in the right direction to find the answer, before I blindly dive into the regulations that is. An yes reading threw random military regulations really does sound like a better use of my time. Go troll someone else.
Glass houses, dude. :p:rolleyes:

I raised Marines. I don't get the Army attitude of "less of my effort is best."

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
Soldier, learn your role and your place. Silver is very educated on the military. Others are as well. But if you are going to get rude and fight with them, they should ignore you.

TigerD

Glass houses, dude. :p:rolleyes:

I raised Marines. I don't get the Army attitude of "less of my effort is best."
Hey now. This former Cavalry Tanker says that is not an Army attitude. Possibly a REMF attitude, but nothing a little turret counseling by a caring NCO with a ratchet couldn't solve in 3-5 mins.

That said - I'm not interested in helping this person with the attitude problem.

TD

ETA:
I should add, Soldiers generally don't consider reserves and NG to be "real" soldiers until they prove themselves as such. We tend to think of them like in the same vein as Air Force, which is to say, as Boy Scouts without the Esprit De Corps or discipline.

Last edited:

ragnar

Attitude is met with attitude... be a XXX and expect the same in return, but what the XXXX ever. Most of us Reservist have been there and done that too, even quite a bit more than any of you active guys if you can gasp that idea. But at the end of the day we are all just nasty reservist... am I right guys!!!??

Last edited by a moderator:

TigerD

Attitude is met with attitude... be a XXXX and expect the same in return, but what the XXXX ever. Most of us Reservist have been there and done that too, even quite a bit more than any of you active guys if you can gasp that idea. But at the end of the day we are all just a nasty reservist... am I right guys!!!??
Until proven otherwise. A lot depends on the pretty colors on your shoulder and chest.

That said, do you run PT in between drills?
Do you maintain your TA-50 and uniforms in between drills?
Do you cut your hair in between drills?

You are in the military. Your chain of command has expectations and requirements. If you choose not to meet those, you will face negative consequences up to and including dismissal.

TD

Last edited by a moderator:

ragnar

Until proven otherwise. A lot depends on the pretty colors on your shoulder and chest.

That said, do you run PT in between drills? Yes
Do you maintain your TA-50 and uniforms in between drills? Sure, I throw my uniform in the washing machine ;).
Do you cut your hair in between drills? No

You are in the military. Your chain of command has expectations and requirements. If you choose not to meet those, you will face negative consequences up to and including dismissal.

TD
Well I'm done here, sounds like you are the the go to guys for the generic "hulk smash" "drink water and do pushups" responses that goes hand in hand with active duty. Something tells me I'm not speaking to the crowd that has ever been in the Reserves or Guard though.

TigerD

Something tells me I'm not speaking to the crowd that has ever been in the Reserves or Guard though.
Actually, after my active duty time, I spent two years as a reserve MP (and two with a transportation unit). But I was under no illusion that getting together to drink and tell stories with the other Sgt.s was anything like active duty.

TD

Last edited:

LdiJ

:p:p:p LOL, no you are not. :p:p:p

:cool:
I am not remotely connected to the military in any way, shape or form and even I know that if your CO tells you that you have to do the online training, then you have to freaking do the online training. On top of that, it will likely take half of the time they estimated.

Proserpina

"Hi. My name isn't important to you. Yours is even less important to me.

I'm now in my mid-20s and am raising children of my own after being medically discharged after my tour of Afghanistan.

You sir, are a disgrace. Please feel free to find a job flipping my burgers at your earliest convenience. You should be fine there, since they have little pictures on the touch-screens these days to help you.

Sincerely,

A proud Mom, daughter and sister - and Reservist"

(that's verbatim, guys - my personal response would get me banned)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">