• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can I Become a Military Officer with a Misdemeanor?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

afmilgrl

I used to be in the military for about 8 1/2 years but, I chose to get out with an honorable discharge. Once I got out, I finished my bachelors degree, began working on a master's degree, and found myself in trouble with a misdemeanor on my record. I was considering trying to become an Army or Naval Officer. Is it possible to become an officer with a misdemeanor on your record?

ERAUPIKE

I used to be in the military for about 8 1/2 years but, I chose to get out with an honorable discharge. Once I got out, I finished my bachelors degree, began working on a master's degree, and found myself in trouble with a misdemeanor on my record. I was considering trying to become an Army or Naval Officer. Is it possible to become an officer with a misdemeanor on your record?
It depends on what you were convicted of and how long ago you were convicted. First lesson, take responsibility for your actions. You didn't "find yourself in trouble," you broke the law.

I agree and it will also depend on the needs of the military. If your speciality is in high demand they may be willing to overlook a minor indiscretion.

The Army may take you ... with unemployment at 20%, DOD has the pick of the litter , as we say.

National guard may be an option too.

Tex78704

Unemployment rate is irrelevant to the original question. And the cream of the crop of the unemployed seeking a military career for that reason is not really the cream the military is interested in.

While a misdeamenor is not an automatic bar to becoming a commissioned officer, it will always make things more difficult for any applicant, and impossible for many applicants.

If an applicant is coming off the street, the application is likely to be rejected without further ado. Unless applying for a critical skill in which there is a shortage of officers.

If an applicant is already active duty or reserve or enrolled in an advanced college ROTC program, the military will review the circumstances of any misdemeanor more carefully, and in these cases strong recommendations from senior officers who know the candidate will often make the difference between an application being accepted or rejected.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">