• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can I join the military despite my asthma?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

DylanH

I am a senior and high school and I have always planned on joining the military. Half way through my senior year my doctor told me I have asthma, however I have never noticed any symptoms. I do not know which branch I would like to join, but the Coast Guard has already given my problems. I would really like to be a rescue swimmer. Is there a way around my diagnosis and if there is will I have a problem becoming a rescue swimmer, a ranger, pararescue, or a seal?

Proserpina

I am a senior and high school and I have always planned on joining the military. Half way through my senior year my doctor told me I have asthma, however I have never noticed any symptoms. I do not know which branch I would like to join, but the Coast Guard has already given my problems. I would really like to be a rescue swimmer. Is there a way around my diagnosis and if there is will I have a problem becoming a rescue swimmer, a ranger, pararescue, or a seal?
These are questions you need to be asking the recruiters :)

redleg17

You might be able to get in, ask the recruiter. There is a reason people with medical conditions have a problem getting into special programs......you might not have any symptoms now....but then again, you haven't been doing any Ranger-level training have you?

DylanH

Well I am an extremely competitive swimmer so I am used to a good workout. I am sure that any force can give me a good workout, but I am not sure if it could be so much more intense that suddenly I am unable to preform.

Also, the two recruiters that I have talked to have flat said no to letting me join at all. So I am asking some more opinions before I pursue it much further.

mommyof4

I am not sure if it could be so much more intense that suddenly I am unable to preform.
You have no idea. Trust me....it could be and, unless you are training on Michael Phelps level, it would be.

DylanH

Get a second opinion on the diagnosis.....
I have talked to a few people about this, but they say getting a second opinion on asthma is not very effective. Especially since it is a year old diagnosis. Aparrently even though I may not be showing signs of it now does just means that it may be temporarily dormant.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
I have talked to a few people about this, but they say getting a second opinion on asthma is not very effective. Especially since it is a year old diagnosis. Aparrently even though I may not be showing signs of it now does just means that it may be temporarily dormant.
Why were you diagnosed with Asthma in the first place? Pretty much the only way you'll get diagnosed is if your exhibiting symptoms....

DylanH

Okay, this will kinda be a breif medical history to explain. I was diagnosised last November. About March possibly of that year I contracted Bronchitis and a cold, I did have trouble breathing during this time only, but since it came along with a fever they diagnosised it as bronchitis. This is the only time I went to the doctor for a breathing problem. In November I went to the doctor for a yearly physical required by my school to participate in sports. I had a bad cold when I went and they said I was wheezing. Apparently wheezing automatically means asthma because that is what I was told it was. They gave me one of the lung strength test, the one where you blow in a tube and make the ball float, and I was just bellow the healthy level. I believe because of my cold they said it was because of my asthma. So basically I was diagnosised because I went to the doctor with a cold right after going for bronchitis. Two respiratory related illnesses in a row apparently mean asthma. I have never used nor needed an inhaler, and other than the bronchitis I have never had a notible issue with breathing.

mommyof4

Okay, this will kinda be a breif medical history to explain. I was diagnosised last November. About March possibly of that year I contracted Bronchitis and a cold, I did have trouble breathing during this time only, but since it came along with a fever they diagnosised it as bronchitis. This is the only time I went to the doctor for a breathing problem. In November I went to the doctor for a yearly physical required by my school to participate in sports. I had a bad cold when I went and they said I was wheezing. Apparently wheezing automatically means asthma because that is what I was told it was. They gave me one of the lung strength test, the one where you blow in a tube and make the ball float, and I was just bellow the healthy level. I believe because of my cold they said it was because of my asthma. So basically I was diagnosised because I went to the doctor with a cold right after going for bronchitis. Two respiratory related illnesses in a row apparently mean asthma. I have never used nor needed an inhaler, and other than the bronchitis I have never had a notible issue with breathing.
Seriously? Get a second opinion. At worst, you'll get the same diagnosis and it won't be anything you don't know. At best, it will be found that you just had a temporary respiratory issue that cleared up.

DylanH

Well I am scheduled for another physical in about a week, I'll see if I can get anything changed. If not I'll look into a second opinion.

xylene

You have a diagnosis of asthma in your medical file.

Even if you get an 'all clear' on this physical, and I assume you mean a family doc, that does not void the asthma diagnosis.

You will need to get a medical waiver. Period. Now a finding of AOK and continued normal pulmonary function... that will go a long way to getting such a waiver.

Here is the stumbling block - it is the truth and it is going to sting.

Your interest categories (Swim / dive / SEAL) are among the most coveted positions in the Services.

LOTS of prospective recruits want to do those things as or as part of their military / service careers

AND

All of those things require the highest level of lung function. The best of the best.

I hope you can see where this is going...

And it is why you are getting blanket NO answers from recruiters.

You will not get a waiver to enlist, if those are the job categories / areas of interest you expect to get.

You should talk to a different Navy recruiter; be honest about what has happened and what you wanted and what you have learned. Be sincere about your desire to serve the United States in a uniform and ask for information about military careers that you would be waiver eligible for and see if any of them are what you would want to do.

A waiver is not an automatic thing. It is a fact based judgment call.

But it is a fact that the service is not going to expend the small fortune that is military dive training on someone with a diagnosed lung problem.

DylanH

Thank you for that. It helps. Do you know if when I do get this waiver and into the services if just being labeled asthmatic will cause me problems despite my actually ability. I am a strong swimmer and my lung capacity is higher than the rest of the swimmers I know, and that goes a long way. Basically will i be excluded just because of this diagnosis despite my ability?

mommyof4

You have a diagnosis of asthma in your medical file.

Even if you get an 'all clear' on this physical, and I assume you mean a family doc, that does not void the asthma diagnosis.

You will need to get a medical waiver. Period. Now a finding of AOK and continued normal pulmonary function... that will go a long way to getting such a waiver.

Here is the stumbling block - it is the truth and it is going to sting.

Your interest categories (Swim / dive / SEAL) are among the most coveted positions in the Services.

LOTS of prospective recruits want to do those things as or as part of their military / service careers

AND

All of those things require the highest level of lung function. The best of the best.

I hope you can see where this is going...

And it is why you are getting blanket NO answers from recruiters.

You will not get a waiver to enlist, if those are the job categories / areas of interest you expect to get.

You should talk to a different Navy recruiter; be honest about what has happened and what you wanted and what you have learned. Be sincere about your desire to serve the United States in a uniform and ask for information about military careers that you would be waiver eligible for and see if any of them are what you would want to do.

A waiver is not an automatic thing. It is a fact based judgment call.

But it is a fact that the service is not going to expend the small fortune that is military dive training on someone with a diagnosed lung problem.
Seconded.

Further, basic is not limited to training specifically for the rate you want. The gas mask training was particularly 'fun' and that was for those of us with NO pulminary issues. This is on top of the daily conditioning.

xylene

Basically will i be excluded just because of this diagnosis despite my ability?
You are much more likely to be excluded from the careers you indicated.

Asthma waivers are more common than ever - because asthma rates are worse than ever...

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">