• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can they stop me from reenlisting?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

novembernights

What is the name of your state? UT
I am in the Air National Guard full-time as a civil service employee. I am NOT AGR.
I have been in part-time over 6 years and full-time just over two years.
I have not been to my technical school for this job yet as I haven't passed my fitness test. I'm now pregnant and I won't be able to test again for 13 months.
However, my enlistment is up this July and my commander states that if I do NOT pass the test and get assigned a school date before then, I will not be able to reenlist. I thought I was exempt from the fitness test while pregnant but my supervisor told me "Even though I can't make you take the test, if you don't, I guarantee you will not be able to keep your job."
I think they can send me to school now if they so choose but they aren't willing to do so.

What are my options, if any? Should I just say goodbye to my military career and look for another job? Or should I fight for this job, as I love it and it pays great? Am I being discriminated against or am I totally in the wrong?What is the name of your state?

I would strongly suggest that you talk directly to the Air National Guard reenlistment counselor for your unit/command to find out exactly what the requirements for reenlisting are and what impact your pregnancy has.

Gonzo67

If you are a civil service employee, then your issue is even more complicated, especially as you say you are not AGR. Are you required to maintain your Guard position to keep the civilian position? Why have you failed the PT test up til now? How far off passing were you? How long have you been on the fitness improvement program? How far along your pregnancy are you?

Sorry if I don't have a lot of sympathy for your situation as I have seen many women get pregnant to avoid fitness testing. Granted, I see more actually passing, but there is a large minority who use pregnancy as an excuse to avoid the job (and fitness in the military is part of the job!).

The IrishLady is correct about seeing the retention folks, but I would also check with the Civilian Personnel flight to see why you have yet to be sent to school.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">