• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Change RE code to 1 from 3

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

la0351

What is the name of your state (California)?

Hello,

I am a former Marine reservist and for a very short time a member of the Army National Guard. I did an inter-service transfer from my Marine unit to the ANG. I left military service in April 1997. This turned out to be a big mistake as I was not happy with how the Army unit was operated. Because of this, I decided I wanted to get out of the military and did some research on how to accomplish this. A member of the ANG unit told me all I had to do was call Sacramento HQ for the NG, inform them that I was not happy with joining this unit after the Marines, and then see what happens. What happened next was a shock to me.

I knew it was a long shot but the person on the other end of the line apparently was used to receiving calls from this specific unit and from Marines. I was processed for an Honorable discharge immediately over the phone and given an RE-3 code (At the time I was not aware of the significance of this code nor what it meant.). This discharge was completely processed over the phone and I never visited my NG unit again after this.

Fast forward to 2012 and I would like to re-enlist in the Air National Guard. I know because of the economy and large influx of applications that my RE-3 code is an immediate door closer for me. I want to submit my DD form 149 however I want to ensure I have all supporting evidence to disprove whatever they have that resulted in the RE-3 code.

Block 23 of my NG 22 says - OTAG Ord 112-549 dtd 22 April 1997 then second line - Sec 260 CALIF M/VC & PARA 8-26j (5) NGR 600-200; ATTAIN OF MAXIMUM ALLOWABLE AGE

Not sure what the "age" part is as I was in my early 20's at this time and according to research "SEC 260 CALIF M/VC & PARA 8-26j (5) NGR 600-200" this portion pertains to being considered mentally unfit or having some unknown personal issues that render me unfit for service. Which is bogus, as the military had NO way to ascertain this via a phone call that lasted 10 min if that.

Concluding, is this a winnable process and if so what else can I do to tip the scale in my favor? Any advice is appreciated.

Thanks

ERAUPIKE

You will not be able to change your RE code unless it was given unjustly or in error. Based on the information you provided, this is not the case.

FlyingRon

You will not be able to change your RE code unless it was given unjustly or in error. Based on the information you provided, this is not the case.
The first statement is true, but the second I do not agree with.

The first section cited is the Section 260 of the California Military and Veterans code. It's lists 19 reasons why a enlisted man may be terminated from the guard. It includes everything from your term is up or you're 64 years old to court martial or AWOL. Absent the specific item from this list (a letter from a through s), it doesn't tell much.

600-200 26j was bounced out on the National Guard reg that says that if a commander feels you are not medically fit for retention, that you report for a medical exam or be bounced out with an assumed RE-3.
Were you told to take such a medical exam?

Unfortunately, they've changed 600-200 and I can't match up that citation to the current version. However, the "ATTAIN MAX AGE" makes me believe that they processed him out for being 64.
While an RE-3 is waiverable (not that their giving waivers), it would seem that he was improperly bounced out on a section that doesn't apply. It may have been expeditious to the command who wanted to get a willing soldier to depart,
but it hardly seems right.

la0351

Thanks

@FlyingRon - Your assessment was mine exactly! It was as if they just bounced me out on whatever they felt on a condition that doesnt apply. Ive submitted my DD 149 along with my supporting documents stating something closely related to what you said. I had already predicted close to what you said and had mailed it last night. Ill update you guys in a few weeks. I do feel i have a case so lets see!

la0351

Forgot to add

I had no medical exam of any kind. As stated in my first post this was done completely remote with no further assessment or counseling administered. Again reasoning in my opinion for me to submit the DD149 because I think there was an error.

OHRoadwarrior

@FlyingRon - Your assessment was mine exactly! It was as if they just bounced me out on whatever they felt on a condition that doesnt apply. Ive submitted my DD 149 along with my supporting documents stating something closely related to what you said. I had already predicted close to what you said and had mailed it last night. Ill update you guys in a few weeks. I do feel i have a case so lets see!
This issue reminds me of my father, when he attempted to reenlist in the Marines. Even though he received an honorable discharge, they declined to accept him back. I expect you will receive the same welcome.

gator1

This issue reminds me of my father, when he attempted to reenlist in the Marines. Even though he received an honorable discharge, they declined to accept him back. I expect you will receive the same welcome.
I am inclined to agree with this. Given la0351 left service in 97 in his early 20's, he is now trying to reenlist in his late 30's.

Even if his discharge code is upgraded, the fact he wilfully bailed on his last service commitment to the Guard will be more than sufficient for the Guard to politely decline to accept him back.

la0351

Im giving it a shot anyways

The one thing that can work for me or against me is my age. It really depends on the unit after I get the RE code adjustment assuming that happens of course. I'm a realist for the most part.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">