• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Could I get into the Army somehow?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

James93

I'm 18 and am looking to enlist in the Army but i have a previous marijuana possession charge that was a misdemeanor. The recruiter i talked to recently said there wasnt anything i could do to get in, is there a waiver or something i could get to help?

Banned_Princess

I'm 18 and am looking to enlist in the Army but i have a previous marijuana possession charge that was a misdemeanor. The recruiter i talked to recently said there wasnt anything i could do to get in, is there a waiver or something i could get to help?
Believe me, if the recruiter said there is nothing you can do, then trust and believe there is nothing you can do. especially during this point and the 3 wars going on and off. if there was a way, the recruiter would know it, and would implement it.

ERAUPIKE

I\'m 18 and am looking to enlist in the Army but i have a previous marijuana possession charge that was a misdemeanor. The recruiter i talked to recently said there wasnt anything i could do to get in, is there a waiver or something i could get to help?
Try a different recruiter or another service.

WaltinPA

The services have been reducing manpower which generally means that the standards for new troops are more strict. You could check with the Marine Corps but keep in mind their physical fitness standards are tough. Are you up to it?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
US Law Only! If we knew the name of your state, we could likely point you in the right direction to have your conviction expunged...

umkemesic

Marine Corps was as hard to get into as the Air Force.

The Army usually has these waivers - so if they are reducing manpower they will raise the standards. They were letting in Felonys and GEDs a few years back....it just depends on the needs of the service. But if you can't get into the Army, forget it. I would see if sealing/expunging your conviction (if possible) would help.

Looks like you have to wait until WWIII or Bush V to get us in another war.

ahnvil

Sorry for digging up a zombie thread...

They were letting in Felonies and GEDs a few years back....
Since felons aren't allowed to arm up, I find this very difficult to believe.

As for your situation, most of the above posts are correct. DoD is making budget cuts and a large portion of those cuts are coming from payroll. This means that entry requirements have been raised.

I'm currently in on a marijuana waiver but I joined ten years ago. It is possible to join but unlikely at this time.

You should provide your state/county so you can be directed to have the conviction expunged. That's your best option. Even if it's sealed or expunged your security clearance investigation will reveal it. The difference will be that it has been taken care of vice just sitting there as an open conviction. It's not a guarantee that you'll get in, but it does improve your chances. Good luck.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">