• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Dafamation & Harrassment in the Military

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

sheideneich1

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Indiana
My son is in the Army Reserve and lives in the State of Indiana. He dated a girl 2-3 years ago which is also in the Army Reserve and is in the same squad. The ex-girlfriend has caused problems in the past verbalizing that my son has beaten her and raped her during the time they dated, an untrue allegation. In the beginning before my son's character was known, it was believed by many in the unit.
My son just returned from an outing (do not know the official army term) for the past couple of weeks from being subjected to the same slander taking place against his character by the ex-girlfriend. The relationship is over and she has a new boyfriend, so it is baffling why she persists on wanting to destroy my son who has tried his best to get along with her.
This type of slander cannot only hurt his reputation as a person but could end up causing problems or ruining his career in the Army, after research, I believe this is called defamation Per Se, slander that has caused emotional distress.
My son just wants this to end once and for all as not to harm his reputation or career. What laws is the girlfriend breaking? What can my son do about this to get it stopped? Can he obtain a restraining order for her to keep her distance so that additional problems to not transpire? Is this handled differently while happening during military outings? Who should he address this with within the military?
Please give us some guidance on what steps to take, whether this is a legitimate case, what he can do to stop this from going further, who he can contact, and any military protocol he can follow in this situation. Does he have a case? Can he get this stopped in its tracks before something further transpires?
Thank you in advance for your assistance.

ERAUPIKE

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Indiana
My son is in the Army Reserve and lives in the State of Indiana. He dated a girl 2-3 years ago which is also in the Army Reserve and is in the same squad. The ex-girlfriend has caused problems in the past verbalizing that my son has beaten her and raped her during the time they dated, an untrue allegation.
How do you know?

xylene

Your son is an adult and should be handling this as such.

Why has he not simply addressed the issue directly with his chain of command?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">