• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

defamation of character

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

amanda.h.k

I was made to march across post in my uniform, which did not fit correctly, pants too short and bottom of jacket split too much. I was laughed at the entire way and was forced to march back after I reached my destination. I was later told that I was the talk of the brigade since I had walked in front of high ranking officers and nco's and my name was passed around. Is it worth it to sue and whom would I?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
I was made to march across post in my uniform, which did not fit correctly, pants too short and bottom of jacket split too much. I was laughed at the entire way and was forced to march back after I reached my destination. I was later told that I was the talk of the brigade since I had walked in front of high ranking officers and nco's and my name was passed around. Is it worth it to sue and whom would I?
I would suggest that you get a better fitting uniform. :rolleyes:

Antigone*

Fashion sensitivities and the military really don't go hand in hand. Amanda if you can handle this teenie tweenie bit of stress, please do us all a favor, get out of the military.

amanda.h.k

I would suggest that you get a better fitting uniform. :rolleyes:
Fashion sensitivities and the military really don't go hand in hand. Amanda if you can handle this teenie tweenie bit of stress, please do us all a favor, get out of the military.
May I also add that it was unanimous said, by an csm and full bird colonol that my entire command was at fault. Please, I only seek professional advice only, not opinions or slanderous comments.

Proserpina

Amanda, who do you think you can sue, and for what?

:confused:

You Are Guilty

To the contrary, please go "career" and stay in the military as long as possible. We don't want you in the private sector, ever.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
No, Amanda, it is not worth it to sue.

First, clearly you do not understand in the least what is meant by defamation of character if you think this is.

Second, no one here has said anything remotely slanderous so you clearly don't understand what that is either.

Finally, if what you described in your original post is so stressful to you that you want to sue, you really won't be able to handle it when every lawyer you talk to laughs in your face, and the judge bawling you out in open court for wasting his time if you go pro se.

ERAUPIKE

May I also add that it was unanimous said, by an csm and full bird colonol that my entire command was at fault. Please, I only seek professional advice only, not opinions or slanderous comments.
It appears you only seek advice that agrees with your leading question, a common problem in this forum.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Not every issue where someone is "at fault" is one for which you have legal recourse.

SCMommy78

I was Active Duty military for 12 years. It was my understanding that when you sign your contract of enlistment you give up the right to sue the US government.

If you want to pursue this I would suggest speaking to someone with your Inspector General (not sure what it's called for Army) office. They can investigate it and hold the person accountable if they indeed did force you to do something that was against the UCMJ or extremely inappropriate. It never hurts to inquire.

Also, defamation of character is something completely different than what your describing. It sounds like what happened to you was indeed humiliating but not defamation of character. Call your IG though and see if they can take a look into it. If they committed a violation, IG will handle. Good luck.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">