• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Desertion while on R&R

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

itsallbad

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Oregon

So i know what i did was beyond dumb and something i have lived with for while now. My unit was deployed to iraq and i went with them spent my time in kuwait and then was at a FOB just south of baghdad. Well during this time i was completely bored i was the first to volunteer to go outside of the wire and was being fast tracked to a NCO but i was young and dumb 20 years old at the time. Well our first rotation for R&R was offered which happened to end up up at the same time as my 21st b-day so i was granted R&R which was great and i had every intention of returning and finishing out my deployment as im no coward to fight and die if that is what was needed. But during my 2 weeks of r&r i had turned 21 and well was basicly beyond intoxicated for basically the entire time. At that time i smoked weed during that time not intentionally but was so impaired that no good decision making was happening. Well when it was time to go back i was ready to go even ready to face an article 15 for my drug use and take the punishment i knew would be coming. But the morning i was leaving i had had my equipment stolen and on trying to get my equipment back to return i missed my flight to return to iraq. On that moment i had no clue what to do and my fear got the better of me and i deserted. It was and has been the biggest mistake of my life and to this day i have not returned. Its been 7 years now and im in complete fear of having an example made out of me for really just being young and dumb and not knowing what to do but hide out. So my question is i want to get this over with and get what ever the process maybe done and i have done tons of research on the subject and but still i have never come across anyone who has done what i did. I know what i did was beyond stupid but i was a young kid and really my fear got the better of me at the time. I would like to know or get advice on what could be waiting for me when i return to the military to answer for my mistakes and stupidity?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">