• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Discharge from any Army Base?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

crystalpexi

What is the name of your state? CA

One Question: After you are DFR, do you have to go to a certain base? I live in CA and there is no way I'm getting on a plane or bus for 4 days to get to some base in the mid west or otherwise. Can I turn myself in at FT. Irwin and do my discharge from there?

somehelp

You can turn yourself into any base but they will just send you to Ft. Knox or Ft. Sill. Since you are from California then you will most likely end up in Ft. Sill (Lawton, OK). Usually better to turn yourself into Ft. Sill to avoid time sitting in a jail cell.

JMW77

SSG Army

So for the most part you can go to any post and turn yourself in. I recommend not waiting any longer. You will have some questions to answer, but you will not go to jail if you will. I can say that wthey will keep a close eye on you and you may be place in a holding area for a short period of time, but it will be worth completing this beofre it gets anymore out of control. I have seen folks with 8 years of AWOL status and get discharged under dishonorable conditions of course, within 2 weeks. Why did you enlist in the first place? You had 3 chances to say no before you went. Ft. Jackson is not that bad of a place to complete BCT(Basic Combat Training). That is the more liberal BCT posts in the Army. My advice, do not waste anymore time....Go to Ft. Irwin and make your peace with the military and go on with your life. If you need help any further, let me know, I will assist you and even take you there. I am stationed there currently. I know a few people and can help if you would like to solve this....

crystalpexi

Update

I left as of August 6th. I drove 5 hours to Ft. Irwin and turned myself in. I was not arrested or anything of the sort...I was actually considered a nonflight risk.
Got bussed to Ft. Sill, out on Friday Aug. 17th...
update more later...
I got an uncharacterized discharge...

Andy104

would a mule and cart be quicker?

That is worse than the 12 hr flight to Germany, there is no way i could do 4 days on a bus.
I guess the Army got theirs final laugh!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">