• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Discharge Codes Advice

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

What is the name of your state? CA

A quick background on me, I was one of those individuals who was thinking of just bailing on the military but with the advice of this website and many others I decided that was a terrible idea. I decided to stick it out and serve the remainder of my enlistment based purely on the idea that going awol is the worst idea ever and getting out early is not really possible. When I got to my present command I was given a psych eval and it was determined I am not fit for military service i.e. personality disorder. Now I am set to recieve a general discharge (under Honorable conditions), what codes should I be looking for on my papers so I won't get the short end of the stick with civilian jobs.

Thanks.

DRTDEVL

You will have an RE-3 stating you can not reenlist without waiver, and you must prove you have overcome the reason for discharge.

Your separation code will be JFX.

You will not get the short end of the stick... It is considered a non-disabled Medical Discharge.

SHORTY LONG

Absolutely you have that right. hopefully you will have an appointed JAG Officer
to help you, if not, request one. Ask anything to them that you do not understand,
especially numbers and codes on your DD214!

Ok Guys, thanks.. Do either of you suppose this type of discharge will stop me or hinder me in any way in the civilian world?

Do you actually HAVE a diagnosed personality disorder? What did they do to diagnose it? I have read that they often like to use personality disorder as a reason for discharge - because that is something that is not covered by the VA. So it can be a hard label to shake if you later attempted to get VA benefits.

So if you don't think you actually HAVE a personality disorder - and are just willing to settle for that diagnosis to get out - you might want to check out if there are any OTHER separation codes they could give you.

You may very well have a personality disorder. In that case, the diagnosis would be appropriate. But I was reading about it recently - and how they often use a diagnosis that tries to assure the vet can't come back and claim VA benefits. Personality Disorder is one of those types of diagnosis.

Free

What is the name of your state? CA

A quick background on me, I was one of those individuals who was thinking of just bailing on the military but with the advice of this website and many others I decided that was a terrible idea. I decided to stick it out and serve the remainder of my enlistment based purely on the idea that going awol is the worst idea ever and getting out early is not really possible. When I got to my present command I was given a psych eval and it was determined I am not fit for military service i.e. personality disorder. Now I am set to recieve a general discharge (under Honorable conditions), what codes should I be looking for on my papers so I won't get the short end of the stick with civilian jobs.

Thanks.

Not sure about the civilian world. I do know it can affect the military world. Here is a link about military psych discharges.

www.nlgmltf.org/pdfs/MedPsychPolicies.pdf

According to the link - personality disorders can be listed on the DD214. It looks like each branch of the service has its own policy.

You can also do a web search for personality disorder and military discharge to get a bit more info before deciding.

Much luck to you,
Free

Ok Guys, thanks.. Do either of you suppose this type of discharge will stop me or hinder me in any way in the civilian world?

Do you actually HAVE a diagnosed personality disorder? What did they do to diagnose it? I have read that they often like to use personality disorder as a reason for discharge - because that is something that is not covered by the VA. So it can be a hard label to shake if you later attempted to get VA benefits.

So if you don't think you actually HAVE a personality disorder - and are just willing to settle for that diagnosis to get out - you might want to check out if there are any OTHER separation codes they could give you.

You may very well have a personality disorder. In that case, the diagnosis would be appropriate. But I was reading about it recently - and how they often use a diagnosis that tries to assure the vet can't come back and claim VA benefits. Personality Disorder is one of those types of diagnosis.

Free
I have been diagnosed with depression...no SI or HI, I have not been given any meds or anything. Just a simple "we dont think your cut out for the military".

Last edited:
You might want to check out some of the VA forums (hadit.com is one), or even talk to a Veteran Service Officer (Disabled Vets, VFW, etc.).

Depression is a condition that can be service related which could qualify you for VA benefits - medical care, compensation payments, etc.

A service connected condition is something that started in the service or was caused by the service (or worsened because of the service).

So if you were not depressed when you went into the service - and are now - it could be a service connected disability.

Or if you were depressed when you went in - and it is noted on your intake that you were depressed - then if the military caused the condition to worsen - it can be a SC condition.

If there is nothing on your entrance records or exam about depression - the you are "presumed sound" when you enter the service. (They have to show substantial evidence that you were not.)

Depending on the severity - conditions can be rated anywhere from 10% disabling to 100 disabling.

A personality disorder is considered a "congentital defect." Nothing "caused" it. They don't give VA benefits for personality disorders. And often - if the vet had the PD label - even if there are other mental conditions that COULD be service connected - it is a long hard battle to get them because of the persoanlity disorder diagnosis.

The military likes to give Personality Disorder as the reason for discharge - because then the vet can't come back and get VA benefits.

There are lots of vets in the VA forums fighting that very thing. They never had a personality disorder. They accepted the label to get out. They later try to get benefits and the PD discharge is stuck to them like glue.

IF you think your depression will improve when you get out and never bother you again - that is one thing. But depression can be hard to treat and "cure" sometimes.

IF you accept the PD discharge and then get out and do have more trouble with depression, and it gets worse, and / or you have trouble getting or holding a job because of your depression - and you go back and try to get your depression service connected by the VA - it will be a long, hard battle that will be difficult to win.

So you might want to check out some of the veteran advocate groups BEFORE you are discharged and talk to a VSO (veteran service officer) and get some tips from those who have been down that road.

Also make sure that you get treatment for ANYTHING that occurs in the service - including the depression and that it is noted in your SMRs (service medical records) appropriately. And get copies of your SMRs.

And if you have trouble once you are discharged - get treatment and keep copies of all records.

Again, you may want to take the PD discharge. That might be your best option. But the more informed you are about the affects that may have - the better for you making the decision. There are many vets that have been discharged with that "diagnosis" (that wasn't really actually diagnosed) that have come to regret it. And I'm sure there are just as many who have not regretted it. It depends on the situation.

Personally, I think if a vet has been diagnosed with depression and the military wants to stick them with a bogus diagnosis for discharge that prevents them from getting benefits - they are doing a real disservice.

Of course, if you want to pursue the depression for a medical discharge - that is a whole other issue. I am not very familiar with medical discharges - but I hear there is just as much politics involved in those.

I am somewhat familiar with the politics of the VA - and I know PD discharges are something people often regret...depending on the situation.

Some people who have been down the road of both medical discharges and PD discharges can probably give you some good advice based on the stuff they didn't know then that they know now.

So you might want to check out some vet forums.

Much luck to you,

Free

I have been diagnosed with depression...no SI or HI, I have not been given any meds or anything. Just a simple "we dont think your cut out for the military".

Just wanted to post a litle update, I have been waiting on the paper work about three weeks and have only now found out what will be on my DD214.

JFV with an RE-4. I talked to the JAG and he told me this is to be expected as I have only been the service for about 8 months. I have not caused any problems or gotten into any trouble in that time, but I dont have enough time under my belt to be given an Honorable.

This sounded like a reasonable explination but I have been lied to many times over the last months so I thought I would post and see what you guys think.

Another thing I forgot to ask is about my records. Are my medical/service records available to future employers? I believe I have to sign a release for my service record to be obtained but can my medical record be released at all? I am under the belief that my med record is sealed after departure from the service, am I wrong?

SHORTY LONG

First, see for yourself what will be on your DD214.

Second, why are you getting a RE4?

Third, certain employers can see, and obtain certain records! With a RE4,
you would not have to really be concerned, because you would not be eligible
for a high security clearance; nor a high responsible job at all!

I am getting an re-4 because thats what the Navy is giving me.

And dont give me that crap about a responsible job. A bout of depression brought on by the military lifestyle will not hinder me in anyway shape or form, as I do not intend on applying to a government agency or being a police officer. Before I enlisted I was nearly done with a 4 year in microbiology, when I return home I will pick that up and apply to a masters program. I'm sure I am not going to be turned away because I was depressed for 8 months. A graduate degree will speak much louder than an general discharge no matter the reason, espescially not a medical reason.

SHORTY LONG

I am getting an re-4 because thats what the Navy is giving me.

And dont give me that crap about a responsible job. A bout of depression brought on by the military lifestyle will not hinder me in anyway shape or form, as I do not intend on applying to a government agency or being a police officer. Before I enlisted I was nearly done with a 4 year in microbiology, when I return home I will pick that up and apply to a masters program. I'm sure I am not going to be turned away because I was depressed for 8 months. A graduate degree will speak much louder than an general discharge no matter the reason, espescially not a medical reason.
Dimwit, there is more to your story in receiving a RE4. Be that as it may; be sure to call prospective employers
and inquire as to whither a RE4 will cause you any problems!

And for simplicity, including a Doctorates Degree, presuming you have all needed for admissions; and by the way,
to get into Grad School is day and night as to getting into your Bachelors!

Dimwit, there is more to your story in receiving a RE4. Be that as it may; be sure to call prospective employers
and inquire as to whither a RE4 will cause you any problems!

And for simplicity, including a Doctorates Degree, presuming you have all needed for admissions; and by the way,
to get into Grad School is day and night as to getting into your Bachelors!

If I could show you a copy of my service record I would. I have had 0 problems with my time in the Navy, no NJPs no bad evals, nothing. The only part of the story your not seeing is one i don't see or have no control over. I have no clue as to why the Navy is giving me an Re-4, all I can do is speculate. Next, I am well aware getting into a graduate program is much harder than working for a bachelors. But as with anything, you make the grades and do what is required, getting in is only a matter of effort.

What you don't seem to understand about comtemporary America is that most employers could care less about military service. Now I will admit during years past, service and characterization of it were much more important. But in todays world of an extremely unpopular war, trickling down to an unpopular military, people care less than you think. As long as you don't receive a BCD or dishonorable people can still live exactly the way they want to. I have read most of your posts concerning this issue and you seem to be very out of touch with how military service is looked on. Let me break it down for you, the average person doesn't care, most of America has no intrest in the military or who is in it. Now in public people say they support the troops, but in private most are hoping to hell their child isn't considering a military carreer. You just don't seem to understand this.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">