• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Discharge Correction Information?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Voslik

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Missouri

Good Morning,

I've got a question about getting my records corrected. When comes to my discharge, narrative reasons, and re code I am pretty savvy; I've done much research over the years.

I'm your common case on boards like these. Discharged in 2004 General (UOC) JFX1 Personality disorder. Whether this helps me reenlist or get it corrected I don't mind either or.

I requested every document I possibly could from NPRC and MPRC. After reviewing them I am trying to find out what warranted a personality disorder. The discharge and re code I understand completely. However I trying to prove that my narrative was an error.

My XO ordered me to see a wizard, go to anger management classes, and some other classes I don't completely remember. I followed through with them and shortly afterwards the wizard submitted I be discharged. However I am finding no documentation stating I had personality issues.

My question is: Since I can't find documentation of reason for the narrative reason how would I provide that it was given in error? If the narrative is corrected should I pursue getting my discharge and re code corrected? I can't afford a lawyer and since the probability of getting anything corrected is pretty impossible are there services, or can my congressman help?

I'm at a loss as to how to provide documentation or lack there of that this was given in error. I understand fully that because I didn't complete my 4 year contract is the reason I received the type of discharge an re code I received. I'm not expecting a miracle, just to correct what I know is wrong.

Voslik

8 years later, you are now protesting the discharge reason? Why did you not protest it when it occurred?
I didn't know there was anything I could do to appeal the decision. There was really no need for the benefits and really the only thing I don't have are MGIB. I was convinced that there was absolutely nothing I could do. I tried to appeal it when I was discharged but I had signed the paperwork before I even knew what was going on.

umkemesic

I didn't know there was anything I could do to appeal the decision. There was really no need for the benefits and really the only thing I don't have are MGIB. I was convinced that there was absolutely nothing I could do. I tried to appeal it when I was discharged but I had signed the paperwork before I even knew what was going on.
You would submit an application for correction to the Military Board of Corrections(DD 149) instructions are on the back. You do not need a lawyer if it is obvious.

I would say that the RE code is bad, and put the onus on the Government to prove you deserved that characterization (they will write a response). If they can't come up with any documentation then you may be good to go.

Unfortunately it has been over 6 years, thus you will not be able to appeal to the District Court - you are stuck with whatever decision the board comes up with.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">