• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Which discharge out of two has pull??

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

stonuk22

What is the name of your state?
Florida

Q: I received an Honorable discharge from the Active Army component in 1991. I decided later to go into the Army Reserves for retirement points, base privledges, etc., but due to a non-performance incident (which I'm going to fight tooth and nail to get corrected, BTW), I received a General (under Honorable Conditions) discharge from the Reserve component. My question is: If this fight fails, will the Reserve discharge status take the place of my honorable one when it comes to VA housing, VA medical benefits, and so one? Thanks for your time and patience..!

fozzy2

Generally...

A General discharge normally qualifies a person for normal VA benefits. It is not until OTH or BCD that they start to strip benefits. The idea that virtually everyone would get an "honorable" is relatively recent, historically. A lot of vets got general discharges from WWII to Vietnam.

You can contact your local VA office and they will help figure out which discharge takes precedence if there is any particular problem/conflict. From what I understand the rules can be very complicated, depending not only on your discharges but your periods of service, "wartime" conditions ( legally the First Gulf War is still being fought.... ) and such.

stonuk22

Thanks for your reply, fozzy2!

Does it mean that, during times of 'peace', the most recent discharge-- regardless of differing service components-- is the one that matters now form here on? That's depressing. Never would've thought I'd even have to consider details like that before this...

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">