• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Dishonorable Discharge and Property Law

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

B

Bossman7121

What is the name of your state? FL

I had recently overheard a man who stated he was a Marine discussing Dishonorable Discharges. He was able to list all five discharges and then told his friend that the harshest discharge prohibits the person to ever owning property. Is this correct?

Bossman

VR_Hunter

I assume the Marine was discussing the basic 5 enlisted discharges. There are several others, but these five are the most common: Honorable, General Under Honorable Conditions (sometime referred to as an Administrative Discharge), Other than Honorable, (then the two big ones) Bad Conduct Discharge and Dishonorable Discharge.

To answer your question and keep it simple, receiving a Dishonorable Discharge (DD) does NOT prevent you from owning property. The only thing I can think of that MIGHT apply, and this is really stretching it, would be an approved covenant from a Homeowners group that restricts felons from purchasing property within a subdivision. I am sure there would be some discriminating factor involved there, but when it comes to felons, there are some obscure restrictions. Barring some unusual circumstance, there is no reason a person receiving a DD should be barred from owning property. I am assuming we are talking land, house, business, etc. Guns are considered property and a convicted felon cannot own a gun. Maybe that is what this Marine was referring to.

HomeGuru

Bossman7121 said:
What is the name of your state? FL

I had recently overheard a man who stated he was a Marine discussing Dishonorable Discharges. He was able to list all five discharges and then told his friend that the harshest discharge prohibits the person to ever owning property. Is this correct?

Bossman

**A: not true is you are referring to real property and not true if you are referring to a pet. What type of property are you talking about; a firearm, rocket launcher or bazooka???

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">