• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Ex-Spouse and military retirement pay

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

kj4981

What is the name of your state? Virginia

I was divorced in 2002,my ex is retired Navy. I was awarded half of his pension which is sent direct deposit. I was told in 2002 that if nothing was marked in box 4 I did not have to claim this money.

I have now been told different,if this is true could someone point me in the right direction. I do not work outside the home,so nothing has ever been filed.What is the name of your state?

If the pension is taxable (not disability), then the portion you receive as part of your property distribution is taxable to you. However, whether or not you have to pay taxes on it depends on your entire financial picture and is a question you should be asking a tax professional.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">