• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Ex-wife gets 100% of my medical retirement pay

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Pragmatic1

Howdy from Texas.

Very early in my marriage, I served nine years in the Air Force and was medically retired. I have been drawing retirement pay ever since.

After 25 years of marriage (nine of which overlap my military service), I had enough and filed for divorce. She demanded and was awarded 100% of my medical retirement check. Since she didn't meet the rules, the check comes to me and I have to pay her.

I was also ordered to name her as beneficiary under the Survivor Benefit Plan and further ordered NOT to alter or withdraw that designation during my LIFETIME.

That was ten years ago. She has since remarried and so have I.

I'm looking for any way to 1) keep my medical retirement payments and 2) name my new wife as beneficiary.

Ideas, anyone?
:confused:What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

Eclark

Remarried

It is my understanding that if this was done by a civil court, and if she has in fact remarried
then she is no longer entitled to the survivor benifits, nor is she entitled to your pay.

You must go back to court and present this to a judge and have him sign off on it.

Since it has been 10 years there would be no way in hell that any judge would let this go on for any longer than it already has.

I would personally like to take the Lawyer that you had out for a meeting with a couple of 2x4s and maybe some wild dogs.

you got screwed man!!!!!!!!

Eclark

Texas Civil Courts Proceedings

Any time that a person remarries then any type of support, alimony or Spousal Support then becomes null and void at the time of the union between the recipient of such support.

A person who I would contact if you are the Fort Worth Area is named Pat White.

You need to get back into court immediately and get that taken care of.

Also further stated, you were medically disabled and retired. A spouse is only entitled to a total of 50% of your retirement pay if you are married for 9 years or more while in military service of your country and while on active duty during the total of those 9 years.

Now since you were medically retired you did not get your blue card, instead you were placed on the disabled list. That is your money and she had no right to it in the first place because it would be the same as a person getting Social Security Disability pay garnished for spousal support after they are divorced, the amount is not enough to support yourself let alone share it with anyone else.

So with that being said, GET A REAL LAWYER.

trim38

ex-wife gives up SBP under new rules

The rule is that the ex-wife defaults on that SBP requirement if she remarries before she turns 55 years old.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">