• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Financial Hardship

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Nuke MMFR

What is the name of your state? CA

I've been in the Navy just a hair shy of 5 years now. I've since attained E-5 as a nuclear trained Mechanic. I honestly can't convey to anyone except those that have recently served as a nuke how sorry every aspect of our job is, from the quality of training, manning, respect, hours, work, everything. I've roughed it out this entire time, constantly telling myself It sucks, but it's all worth it. All through an entire work up in the ship, to a full deployment over seas and back to the ship yard.

Our department was in a 4 section duty rotation and due to long work days combined with 4 section duty we wear unofficially, officially told we could leave the boat on duty days to get food (When you have a 6 on 6 of watch rotation the galley is never open when your off watch). I left the boat for food as had been common practice for the last 2 years on my boat. While on the way back i got in a car accident which totaled my car. My chain of Command was scared it would get back to them, so they denied the approval for me to leave and basically hung me out to dry. I refused captains mast since I had been through that ordeal 4 years ago and saw that there is nothing lawful about it in lieu of summary court marshal. I agreed to take a bust to E-1 and do 30 days brig time in favor of being recommended for discharge (to make a long story short I had previously re-enlisted and a bust to E-4 would end my career as the advancement back to E-5 is under 5% due to those re-enlisting filling the billets. It was clear that the remaining 5 years of my commitment would end early on a HT and with all my goals smashed I was basically waisting my time)

After serving my time in the brig I find out a few months later I have been De-Nuked. For those wondering that did NOT affect my clearance, I still maintained secret clearance. I figured that was part of the process to discharge me. Apparently I was wrong. I was unaware that in the Navy on a Carrier, the Officer handling a Summary Court Marshal's decision is not actually final, but just a recommendation to the Captain who makes the final decision. Regardless my discharge was refused and I was expected to be force converted to a conventional mechanic and sent off to conventional A-School. Of which I would go to A-School, then go out to the fleet. The confusing part is my HT is now 6 years. When it's all said and done I would be back in the fleet for "maybe 7 months. Not very practical in my opinion.

And now for the problem When I was a E-5 My wife and I made the decision to purchase a house. at 209k We wear ONLY approved because I had proof I was receiving E-5 pay. We knew it would be a bit rough during the 30 day brig period and also after during the discharge period. We roughed it out going deeper and deeper into financial debt through a few months of E-1 pay. After finding out I would not be discharged I went to legal and was told by a 2nd Class basically "to bad, sell your house. The Navy is going to have no sympathy for you." I also explained to my chain of command as high as the Captain my situation, yet was also told "we'll try, but don't expect anything." After all cries for help wear ignored and losing my house almost immediate I made the decision to take up a Job offer I had established while I was under the impression I would be getting out. I went AWOL, but maintained weekly "unofficial" communication with my chain of command on the status of some last ditch efforts to discharge me.

I understand allot of you are frustrated with AWOL people seeking advice, but please understand my situation. I'm not a fresh out of basic training deserter, I've exceeded the standard 4 year commitment, I've done a full over seas deployment, I've faithfully served my country and given it a solid 5 years of my life. And now I feel Ive been placed in a situation that completely nulls every good thing I've done and puts me out to be the bad guy.

As I work this job to support my family I look back and feel like I've been craped on for everything i did for my country. I watch these "pro military" commercials and my heart sinks, the message they try to portray goes against every feeling I have right now.

I do plan on turning my self in. I just want to move on with my life. My original intent was to just go back to the boat in Norfolk, VA after 180 days. Probably do a month in the brig, take an OTH Discharge and be done.

After going AWOL I contacted a Hotline in regards to my situation, they said I could try for a financial discharge, but because I was on a carrier it would likely take up to 6 months. I'm so deep in debt right now (My house payment is larger then my base pay) I absolutely can not afford to sit on my boat likely on restriction while they sit on my paper work.

How realistic is that? Am I making a wrong or poor choice? I know what I've done is wrong, but to me it was the lesser of two evils. I'm open to any and all advice, support, criticism, both good and bad.What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state?

SHORTY LONG

Copy this in your browser, and click enter:
https://forum.freeadvice.com/showthread.php?p=1748633#post1748633

Scroll to the top, and you will find a wealth of information!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">