• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Fraud on our Military Pride

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

spiriteagle

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
I am trying to find information on if it is against the civil or military law in Missouri or the US to impersonate a military officer?

I found where a military personnel must be known to wear the uniform of an officer and they can be prosecuted, but not a civilian.....

Thanks for any info...

>Charlotte<

Lurker
From this US code. I think this is applicable. Somebody will correct me if it's not, so check back.

TITLE 18 > PART I > CHAPTER 43 > § 912Prev | Next § 912.
Officer or employee of the United States
Whoever falsely assumes or pretends to be an officer or employee acting under the authority of the United States or any department, agency or officer thereof, and acts as such, or in such pretended character demands or obtains any money, paper, document, or thing of value, shall be fined under this title or imprisoned not more than three years, or both

swalsh411

The key here is acting like you are in an official capacity working for the government. This is a crime whether you are pretending to be a postal worker, an FBI agent, or a 5-star general. A civilian merely wearing a uniform would not rise to this. I've seen people wearing very convincing replicas of current military uniforms at anti-war events and also put those uniforms on straw dummies and burn them. Obviously very offensive to some but protected under the First Amendment.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">