• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

General Discharge upgrade?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ScubaSteve

I was in the Air Guard from 1996 - 2000. I was deployed to Saudi Arabia from Sept 1999 - Dec 2000. While I was in Saudi I was attached to an active duty air force group. I wrote several bad checks on base in Saudi Arabia. When I returned to me home unit in Jan 2000 I was told by the base legal that I would have to pay and he wasn't sure what the AD AF was going to do with me. No one was able to give me any advice or tell me who to talk to or who to seek advice from. Everyone I talked to said that I was in the wrong office.. AD legal said I needed to talk to guard JAG... Guard said I was on AD when it happened talk to AD. anyways I went to Feb UTA and they introduced the new first sergeant to the squadron and then the commander took me into his office with the new first sergeant and told me that I couldn't be in his unit anymore. asked me to turn over my ID and told me to never come back. I asked if I could be transferred talk to others in command...talk to legal... he said no .. told me to go and get my gear from home and return it and then never come back again. Even after the weekend drill I called to the Unit several times asking if there was anything that could be done or anyone that I could talk to help me I was told no... and that if I kept calling I would be charged with harrasment. I even asked if I could come to the March UTA and talk others in command and was told that if I came to the gate I would be trespassing.

Well I was recently wanting to rejoin the Air Guard but was told that I couldn't. I got a copy of my NGB22 and it says I was separated with a general for unsatisfactory participation. AFI 36-3209, PARA 3.13.2 SPD/KNF... I was separated in Nov 2000

General discharge... but not for writing bad checks or anything like that... I got a discharge for not coming to drill for those last 10 months. Seems kind of dirty that they tell me to stay away or else.. then use that as the basis to keep me away and discharge me. my separation code is SPD/FNK from what I can find on the internet that means "other". Up until the time I was told to stay away I was one of the most active poeple in my unit. I was in a flying AFSC and I had used up nearly all of my extra flyin AFTP's given to me for the year prior.

I have recently been talking to people in my unit and they have all told me that they were told as early as February 2000 that I wouldn't be coming back and that I left the unit.

Any hope for me to get this changed so I can go back into the guard? And if I do get it changed would they just put a bad check writing code in the place of the unsatisfactory participation code making it all for naught?

could they have gotten me on the checks without a hearing or court martial?

Within the last week I have submitted to get a copy of my full military record to see if there is anything in there to shed light on this.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">