• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Good Sep Code, Honerable Discharge, but RE 4...

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Crash501

I was medically discharged from the US Marine Corps in 2003. My DD 214 says "condition not a disability" I received a Honorable Discharge with a Good Sep Code. I just started looking at getting back into the military and my RE code is a 4 for some reason. I have no conduct problems and no permanent disability. The recruiter said "Your sep code and RE code don't match at all". How can I look into this? I have heard a congressman may be my best bet? I have done nothing wrong and would like to know has this happened before?

Thanks in advance,

Eric

The issue will be the time period since your discharge. Looking to re-enlist? I don't think that they'll change to code but anything is possible.

It is an odd one ... but the code means nothing unless you have a desire to re-enlist.

Shadowbunny

Queen of the Not-Rights
The issue will be the time period since your discharge. Looking to re-enlist? I don't think that they'll change to code but anything is possible.

It is an odd one ... but the code means nothing unless you have a desire to re-enlist.

Since OP stated he "just started looking at getting back into the military" it's obvious he's interested in reenlisting.

OP, og719's advice was the place to start. Good luck.

umkemesic

Yes, the advice is solid, let me add:

You woud need to fill out a DD FORM 149:

www.dtic.mil/whs/directives/infomgt/forms/eforms/dd0149.pdf

And send it to the Naval Board (address on back). If this is a slam-dunk mistake they will change it. I would include any relevant information.

The Government will respond (usually a JAG of Civ GS). If there are any issues, they will move to deny the petition, but if it is a clear mistake they will not contest it.

This process is usually within a year, maybe even within 4-6 months, impossible to tell, but should not be long if the issues are not complex. They usually have a mandatory completion date and these claims are quickly handled.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">