• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Guardianship of special needs brother.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

sos88

Brother 1- NOT IN MILITARY, UNABLE TO PROVIDE PROPER CARE FOR BROTHER 4
Brother 2-NAVY
Brother 3-NAVY
Brother 4-SPECIAL NEEDS BROTHER

I apologize in advance, because this is quite a weird and long question. Brother 1 has a medical discharge from the navy. Brother 2 and 3 are in the Navy. Brother 4 is a special needs adult. He is in his early 20's and has suffered from Depression, ADHD, and Autism his entire life. Both parents are deceased. My mother, who took guardianship after his mother's death recently passed away. Now, brothers 1-3 have left it up to my dad, who is not in the best of health (CONG. HEART FAILURE) and in his early 50's. Brother's 2 and 3 have told my dad "you have custody, you deal with him". Is there anything we can to so they have to help with him? My sister and I are unable to be his caregiver because of the way he lashes out at us. He has very violent tendencies. He threatens to slap/punch me all the time. He causes my dad a great deal of stress, which he does not need. WHAT CAN WE DO?

Silverplum

Brother 1- NOT IN MILITARY, UNABLE TO PROVIDE PROPER CARE FOR BROTHER 4
Brother 2-NAVY
Brother 3-NAVY
Brother 4-SPECIAL NEEDS BROTHER

I apologize in advance, because this is quite a weird and long question. Brother 1 has a medical discharge from the navy. Brother 2 and 3 are in the Navy. Brother 4 is a special needs adult. He is in his early 20's and has suffered from Depression, ADHD, and Autism his entire life. Both parents are deceased. My mother, who took guardianship after his mother's death recently passed away. Now, brothers 1-3 have left it up to my dad, who is not in the best of health (CONG. HEART FAILURE) and in his early 50's. Brother's 2 and 3 have told my dad "you have custody, you deal with him". Is there anything we can to so they have to help with him? My sister and I are unable to be his caregiver because of the way he lashes out at us. He has very violent tendencies. He threatens to slap/punch me all the time. He causes my dad a great deal of stress, which he does not need. WHAT CAN WE DO?
No, there is nothing you can do to force family members to take care of other family members. You can't force your father to handle his will properly, but you can try to influence him with an educated discussion of what might happen to your brother without proper planning for his future.

I think you'd get better responses if you posted this elsewhere, perhaps under "Wills and Trusts," because it has nothing at all to do with military law.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">