• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Harassment Issues

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

serrao0514

My husband is an active duty E-4 in the Army. His NCO, an E-5, has been harassing me in the sense of ruining my family name. He has been spreading malicious rumors accusing me of being a drug seeker, lying to his command that I am psychotic and, harassing my husband at work. I have spoken with his commander and said that he would move the NCO to another platoon. This is unacceptable and not suffice. These accusations against me have spread and could not only cost me my career, but my husbands as well. This NCO has it out for me and my family and I am truly afraid of what will happen to us if he is not stopped immediately. Is there a way that I can press charges against him so that he gets the punishment he deserves? This is not a adolescent quarrel. These accusations against me are very serious in nature and I hope they are responded too in such a way.

Thank you.

Eekamouse

My husband is an active duty E-4 in the Army. His NCO, an E-5, has been harassing me in the sense of ruining my family name. He has been spreading malicious rumors accusing me of being a drug seeker, lying to his command that I am psychotic and, harassing my husband at work. I have spoken with his commander and said that he would move the NCO to another platoon. This is unacceptable and not suffice. These accusations against me have spread and could not only cost me my career, but my husbands as well. This NCO has it out for me and my family and I am truly afraid of what will happen to us if he is not stopped immediately. Is there a way that I can press charges against him so that he gets the punishment he deserves? This is not a adolescent quarrel. These accusations against me are very serious in nature and I hope they are responded too in such a way.

Thank you.
What brought them on? He didn't just start doing this for no reason.

ERAUPIKE

Thank you.
You aren't happy that someone is trying to ruin your career, so you are responding by trying to ruin his. The command gave you an answer, which is more than most dependents would get in this type of situation, but you don't like it.

Your potential drug use would have no real effect on your husband's career, but your squeaky wheel strategy will certainly remain a clear memory in his command's mind when it comes to ratings.

My advice, stop reacting. The NCO will likely tire of talking about your family name and your drug seeking activities. Active duty makes for short attention spans. We had a guy at our command that married a heroin addict. She was selling their stuff and her body to support her habit after she spent all of his enlistment bonus. She stole his truck and was found weeks later in Miami in a prostitution sting. Did we talk about it? Yes, for about 3 weeks because he never reacted. We moved on to the next thing that was happening at the command.

You could spend $50k suing him for money he doesn't have in a defamation suit. You would need to prove that the alleged slander has actually damaged your reputation in some way and that it isn't true. I don't remember having an extra $50k laying around when I was an E-4.

Best path forward, be a grown up and move on.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">