• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Health & Welfare Inspections in Army Reserve

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

SSGCount

I am a Team SGT in a NY based Army Reserve unit. I have one lower enlisted Soldier that the Chain of Command has a real concern regarding the living quarters. Soldier rents an apartment with a civilian spouse. The concern is for the Soldier in how they maintain the apartment and whether or not it is in a fairly healthy and livable condition. Said Soldier has had many issues that have prevented the Soldier from completing duty time. Additionally, during duty time, said Soldier has had several issues that have negatively affected moral amongst the Company. Issues have repeatedly included: cleanliness of uniforms, personal hygiene, financial issues, not being prepared for overnight missions or travel (lack of personal hygiene items), PT & Height/Weight failure, etc. Soldier has repeatedly referenced depression due to a lack of "camaraderie" from a direct result of what we, the immediate Chain of Command, determine to be Health and Welfare issues.

My question is legally what can the Chain of Command do to help out the Soldier? Said Soldier is embarrassed by the living area, but is open to letting the immediate Chain of Command conduct a Health and Welfare Inspection. The Chain of Command wants to help the Soldier so that the Soldier has a higher rate of readiness with minimal disruptions to training. Our unit has a high OPTEMPO and deploys a Company usually annually or at least every 2 years now.

Soldier is married to a civilian and the nearest Active Duty Installation is approx 4 hours drive time. Soldier has completed Basic Training and AIT schooling and received a DD 214 from that Active Duty stint. Soldier has approximately 3.5 years time in service. Soldier has also begged the Company Commander for extra chances from being recommended for separation from the Army.

Any recommendations that I can reference in any developmental or verbal counseling would be most welcomed. Our goal is to help pull the Soldier out of all of the negative things that are having a negative effect on the atmospherics at the Company and Battalion level. Soldier is a good troop when directly monitored and completes tasks on time whilst on duty, but off duty is where the issues reside.

CSO286

I am a Team SGT in a NY based Army Reserve unit. I have one lower enlisted Soldier that the Chain of Command has a real concern regarding the living quarters. Soldier rents an apartment with a civilian spouse. The concern is for the Soldier in how they maintain the apartment and whether or not it is in a fairly healthy and livable condition. Said Soldier has had many issues that have prevented the Soldier from completing duty time. Additionally, during duty time, said Soldier has had several issues that have negatively affected moral amongst the Company. Issues have repeatedly included: cleanliness of uniforms, personal hygiene, financial issues, not being prepared for overnight missions or travel (lack of personal hygiene items), PT & Height/Weight failure, etc. Soldier has repeatedly referenced depression due to a lack of "camaraderie" from a direct result of what we, the immediate Chain of Command, determine to be Health and Welfare issues.

My question is legally what can the Chain of Command do to help out the Soldier? Said Soldier is embarrassed by the living area, but is open to letting the immediate Chain of Command conduct a Health and Welfare Inspection. The Chain of Command wants to help the Soldier so that the Soldier has a higher rate of readiness with minimal disruptions to training. Our unit has a high OPTEMPO and deploys a Company usually annually or at least every 2 years now.

Soldier is married to a civilian and the nearest Active Duty Installation is approx 4 hours drive time. Soldier has completed Basic Training and AIT schooling and received a DD 214 from that Active Duty stint. Soldier has approximately 3.5 years time in service. Soldier has also begged the Company Commander for extra chances from being recommended for separation from the Army.

Any recommendations that I can reference in any developmental or verbal counseling would be most welcomed. Our goal is to help pull the Soldier out of all of the negative things that are having a negative effect on the atmospherics at the Company and Battalion level. Soldier is a good troop when directly monitored and completes tasks on time whilst on duty, but off duty is where the issues reside.

Follow protocol. I'm certain there is one for this situation, Sergeant.

For legal guidance, check with the JAG office.

antrc170

Unlike the active duty side, the reserves cannot inspect a members living quarters for routine inspections. However, if the member invites you to inspect, then you are free to do so. The member can hand over as much control to you as he wishes.

This is what I suggest as I have done something similar (although it was with an active duty member). Get the command to give a small group of senior enlisted (nco's) and the member a TDY to his residence for a drill period. Use this time to counsel the member on how to maintain a budget (many times, lack of items indicates a lack of money to purchase), uniform regulations, proper diet, fitness routine, and proper living quarter cleanliness. If someone lives close, it may be appropiate to assign the member a mentor to contact with questions or concerns. If you handle the assignment with the attitude of wanting to help him rather than order him around, he may be receptive and willing to change. Sometimes showing a member that you care can make a big difference.

I did almost the exact thing and was able to save a member from discharge, he went on to an honorable discharge after his full term was complete.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">