• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Help, General Discharge!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Mookie777

What is the name of your state? NV

Ok, my brother received a General Discharge in 1999. What happened: He basically went AWOL for 27 days because a serious issue involving his wife the military would not assist him with... but aside that not meaning much, he returned to his base. He came back drunk and unruly... did all the medical stuff on him... nothing out of the ordinary. He basically joined for food and a job, was pretty optionless at the time he went in... this compounded and he joined the Army. He was never charged with anything under Article 15 except for the AWOL. His performance and everything else were really good while he was there too.

He took the NJP, served the NJP... then his CO gave him a General Discharge.
This was just a straight General Discharge. He was basically 18yrs old (25 now) at the time and I need to know if he has a case.

Is it possible to get a discharge upgraded?
His listed reason of separation was "standards and conduct". Which I think it totally inapporopriate description for what really happened. He met the standards and conducted himself well... just had an OOPS mistake.
How do you apply for a discharge upgrade?

It has been 7 years. He is a really good professional now, has a college degree and has life ready to where he wants to really serve his country again, this time for the right reasons.

Any legitimate advice or direction is appreciated. Thanks.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">