• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Just went AWOL

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jaigofist

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Tennessee

Yesterday at 11 I went AWOL. I left because I couldn't take it anymore. The drill sergeants kept "losing" losing my paperwork for a chapter 11 and were wrongfully taking their time with my paperwork. I was training at Fort Jackson. I left and took a few buses back to my home state. My family has been contacted by my drill sergeant and I've been officially declared AWOL. I just want out with an OTH. I just want this to be over with. I know I have to report to another base like Sill or Knox, but I don't know if I should turn myself in after one day or what a few days. Will they send me back to my unit? Will I serve jail time? My DS told my family that'd I serve one night in jail. I just want to know the smoothest route to get me out and on with my life.

CdwJava

As the father of a US Marine, I do not have sympathy for deserters.

But, here is some information:

http://armypubs.army.mil/epubs/pdf/r630_10.pdf

From my 10 second read, you will have to be returned to your unit until a disposition is made. What will ultimately happen, I cannot say. Chances are they will simply discharge you with an other-than-honorable discharge ... that's better than I would like to see in these circumstances, but, it seems to be the common end result. You no longer want to be there and they will not want you because they cannot rely upon you and you would be a danger to everyone around you.

You may want to consult an attorney with experience in UCMJ law ASAP.

Awol321

Awol

Wait 30+ days to get DFRed, turn yourself in at either Knox or sill or any military installation, you'll be out with an OTH in a couple of days (get there tue out on Friday) if you're not DFRed you'll be sent back to your unit, so make sure you're DFR

FlyingRon

I'd go back and take my lumps. Your chapter 11 uncharacterized discharge is going to be better for you in the long run than an OTH.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">