• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

medical discharge

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

mnk4ever224

What is the name of your state? Massachusetts

My husband is in the process of a medical discharge for a form of arthritis, I was wondering what his odds of getting any decent amount of money from the Coast Guard would be? The condition is permanent, and he can't do alot of things healthy people can do. I'm also wondering what my other other options are. I have heard that the VA might rule him somewhat disabled and he can get money from them, but how do I go about that? I guess I would have to wait until he is actually discharged? Would it be worth even trying for Social Security Disability?

jamesr45

jamesr45

mnk4ever224 said:
What is the name of your state? Massachusetts

My husband is in the process of a medical discharge for a form of arthritis, I was wondering what his odds of getting any decent amount of money from the Coast Guard would be? The condition is permanent, and he can't do alot of things healthy people can do. I'm also wondering what my other other options are. I have heard that the VA might rule him somewhat disabled and he can get money from them, but how do I go about that? I guess I would have to wait until he is actually discharged? Would it be worth even trying for Social Security Disability?
I don't know what he could get from the Coast Guard? However he can and should file for a service connected disability through the VA, he can file it at any time,before or after discharge. If you can't find out anything about it, go to your local VA service officer in the county of your residence, for answers. The amount of disability compensation recieved from the VA will be based on the per/centage of disability awarded. 10% being $108. per month 100% being $2,299 per month. In order to get a Social Security disability you must be totally and permanently disabled, with medical verification from M.D.

Desprate

My husband drew 100% disability from VA was your husband exposed to something in the service that made this condition if so he will be service connected for it if he gets 100% then you and any minor childern will also receive ChampVA insurance go to www.va.gov look under pensions and compensation you will see what he can draw file thru the DAV let them help you and guide you on the steps it will take to accomplish this you can contact the disabled american vetrens DAV at any va hospital or out care clinic they have offices there talk to them before you do anything . Check out the va site read all you can find out all you can about why your husband has this and ask questions and make sure you get all his medical records from the service keep copys of anytime he sees a doctor keep your records they are your proof and you will need them i will help in anyway i can i have been thru this and knowing how to start is the key to getting the money thats due him

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">