• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Medical Discharge

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

cccbebad

Hello, I am in the Navy and stationed @ NAS JAXS located in Florida. In Feb 2007 I got in a bad motorcycle accident, I tore my acl, psl, mcl, and also broke and dislocated my ankle. At the time I was going through EOD school at Eglin AFB, well now that I am all healed up I was denied back in to the EOD school because of the injurys I suffered. I feel fine and I can PT just as good as I could before the accident. Well I just pulled orders to the boat, and thats not what I signed up for.... so now my question to you is what are the pros and cons of a medical discharge... my doctor told me with the injurys I had it would be easy to get out medically but I dont know anything about it and I dont want my future tainted.

Receiving a medical discharge is never an easy undertaking but if you're doctor is on board than that is a plus. You will need to have your file reviewed by a medical review board usually two or three times. They will assign you a percentage of disability benefits, this number is important to your future. ~nything over ten percent will qualify you for vocational rehabilitation which will pay your entire tution for whatever career track you may choose. There are some stipulations and regulations but the consulers can work that out with you. There is a chance you might still see the boat due to the amount of time it takes for a medical discharge to be finalized. I had a friend that hurt his shoulder in A school and did not receive his medical seperation for almost five years, his doctors were not all behind him. A medical seperation is .not going to hurt your future at all. You are going to become a disabled veteran and you will eligble for the benefits that follow. Good luck.

cccbebad

Should I wait then??

Ok, now for the second question. I have about a year and 3 months left, should I persue the medical discharge and/or just suck it up for the time left. Will the benefits still be there for me if I stay in and wait out the enlistment. Your help has been greatly appreciated so far and I hope to hear more from you~

ElvisG

I think the biggest question you need to ask yourself is, do you intend on joining another branch past this contract in the future?

I was a supervisor for the majority of limited-duty people coming off the ships for 18 months. With the people that I have keep in-touch with, I have seen some make good and bad decisions based on if they choose to try to get out on a medical discharge. To give you an example, I have a good friend that choose to just get out when his doctor told him he could get out on medical discharge. He now has only the GI BILL and what benefits everyone else has that just finish their enlistment. He is now trying to go through VA to get considered as a disabled veteran. It’s been three years and he is still waiting on VA. Whether this last sentence is true or not about the time, who knows.

The benefits of a disabled veteran are a lot better than a person who just finishes their contract. If your doctor is telling you that you can get out on a medical discharge, please look into what benefits you get with a medical discharge versus a regular discharge. If I was you and had zero intentions of staying in the Navy or joining another branch in the future then this would be a no brainer answer. But remember that if you get out on a medical discharge that your future military life will be over. The Army might accept you with a medical discharge but you will need to talk to a Army recruiter for that answer.

That is really for you to decide. There is a ton of information available as to the rights of veterans and disabled veterans. Some of the benefits kick in at the higher percentage rates of disabilities. You can finish your enlistment and still receive a disability rating when you come to your ETS. It is not really legal advice but I would charge you to ask yourself some serious questions. Do you have a plan for when you get out? Do you have a job lined up for when you separate? If you are going to go to school, what degree are you planning to persue? How much is tuition at the school you are planning to attend? UNF is around 3500 a semester plus books and living expenses. Private colleges average around 3500 a credit hour plus books and living expenses. VocRehab will cover the tuition for any degree you are approved to pursue up to a masters degree. The GI Bill will pay you 1100 a month, every month you are enrolled full time. If you are going to start a new career, what benefits will your new job provide? I can't answer these questions for you but I can provide a little guidance as far as benefits and attending school after separating.

ElvisG

Also a side note, I was told this by a person receiving Voc Rehab. You have to use your GI BILL completely up first prior to receiving Voc Rehab. But when you are on it, it's very nice. Everything paid for (tuition will have its limit) and a new computer per year type of things. I loved using my GI BILL. He told me Voc Rehab was like a Cadillac version of the GI BILL.

http://www.vba.va.gov/bln/vre/vrs.htm

cccbebad

Well these are my plans!

I have been offered part-ownership in to a Gymnastics/Cheerleading Gym. While working at the gym I plan on getting my degree in some type of Educational field. Once I am finished I plan to teach at a local high school and then go work the gym every day after school. As of right now that is my plan.

CGRAY

I was in a similar situation in the mid 90's. The VA counselor convinced me to suck up my remaining time and get a regular discharge then file with the VA afterwards. The pro's of this is that you can still receive disability comp, vocational rehab, etc and most importantly, no one is to know of your disability status unless you volunteer. This will come in handy if you ever decide to apply for the Police Dept or Border Patrol for instance. The med discharge may be enough to disqualify you whereas you could have kept the medical issue to yourself if you had a regular discharge. Go speak to the local VA counselor in town and get their opinion. I have dealt with a few and all have gone out of their way to assist me. They are on your side.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">