• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Medical discharge from the army

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

edqbabe69

What is the name of your state? IN

My fiancee just left for basic training a month ago and since he got there he found out that he has diabetes and anxiety disorder. I was told by my cousin that was in the army for 6 years that he can request a medical discharge and be paid for it. Is that correct? I am in desperate need of some answers soon before my fiancee goes crazy.

Shay-Pari'e

Be paid for what? Did the military cause his diabetes? Did BT cause his anxiety disorder?

I doubt he will even get discharged for either of them.

fozzy2

edqbabe69 said:
What is the name of your state? IN

My fiancee just left for basic training a month ago and since he got there he found out that he has diabetes and anxiety disorder. I was told by my cousin that was in the army for 6 years that he can request a medical discharge and be paid for it. Is that correct? I am in desperate need of some answers soon before my fiancee goes crazy.
He probably doesn't have to "ask" for anything, it is most likely that at this point the military is already going through the process of determining whether to keep him. It can take some time. It all depends on what the Docs say and the details of the diagnosis, but diabetes is usually an automatic out. However, if he had generic diabetes (type I or II) it is kind of hard to imagine it being missed during pre-processing - but as I said, the doctors/boards will sort it all out.

If he is discharged he might be able to apply for compensable "service connected" disability. "Service Connected" does not mean that it was necessarily caused by the military service - but "pre-existing conditions" won't be covered. Since he has been in the military such a short time, the military will probably say his problems were "pre-existing" and thus he does not warrant service connected disability. Once again, however, it will depend on the details of the medical diagnosis.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">