• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

medical discharge/depression

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

lostforever

For the past year i've had troubles with severe depression and anxiety. First off I have a great record in the military and good remarks all around. But when i was deployed last year I was hazed and harrassed continously. It got so bad it was to the point where i was removed from the platoon. I saw mental health while i was in iraq though i never told them i did have thought of suicide. I returned last fall and i have been trying to make a turn around. But no matter what i do Im always so depreessed and full of anxiety. Due to what happened Ive become extremely resentful of marines and the marine corp. I tried being motivated when i got back but here i am several months later and still having problems coping with depression and anxiety. Because of these problems i have no friends and i have lost interest in all things. Its gotten so bad lately i have had thoughts of hurting myself in hopes it will help me escape the way i feel. Right now i am taking antidepressents and vallium to calm me down. Though my main question is will they give me a medical discharge for all this? Ive never been had a page 11 or njp. Im not a **** bag looking for an easy way out. and i'm not an ******* looking for a check. I just cant stand the day to day stresses with military life anymore. I just feel if i leave and am back home with my family who i am extremely close to i will be ok even without the meds. I just dont know how to go about my situatuion properly. I do have a mental health appt on the 26 of march. I have not been seen by mental health since i left iraq. Also what comes with medical discharge pros and cons wise. How do if i know im getting the run around through this process. Cause i hate to say it but alot of the military likes to give the suck it up speech but im past that. I just need help! I cant take this life anymore and i feel alone and like im falling into a dark pit.

Last edited:

ERAUPIKE

I hate to be the one to tell you this but mental health does not just discharge every depressed patient that walks through the door. They will do everything possible to help you work through your issues. If you truly want help then mental health will give you all the counseling needed to help you recover. Deep rooted problems such as yours will not just disappear. You need help and now. Best of luck.

Brau0318

I was recently medically discharged from the Marine Corps. Once I realized I was going home, the depression and anxiety started for me. I too had missed my family and thought that it would help me a lot but I have now realized that the depression has let up a little but the anxiety has been a harder battle. It's something that you must fight on your own. I tried taking the no meds approach and quickly learned, this is something you must seek help for. Being home has helped me a little. I was never hazed badly and other than my discharge, I miss the corps. I understand how hard it can be to hold pride within our Corps when people get away with **** like that. Once you talk to MHU they can help a little with what’s going on by talking with your CO and reassigning you to something more relaxing. Don’t be afraid to get in touch with other Marines that are going through the same challenges. Trust me they are out there. As for pros and cons. I thought it would be hard dealing with being medically discharged, and facing civilians. There’s no shame in being discharged for this. You and I both know that civilians don’t understand what kind of **** we go threw to protect there weak asses. Try to pull through it, because as you know anything is possible. If you have specific questions about being discharged and the bull**** suck it up speechs they like give, or anything at all, feel free to write me anytime. Just remember Marine your not alone and there are many like us whom need help. It’s our nature not to ask for help and that’s what got us in the mental predicament to begin with.

Last edited:

JADM

If you have a condition that fails retentions standards (Chapter 18, Manual of the Medical Department) you should have an MEB initiated. If you are found unfit (unable to reasonably perform the duties expected of your grade, rank, rating, MOS, or office) you will be separated with severance pay or medically retired.

More info can be found at Physical Evaluation Board .

tonyad23

mental health discharge

Although my situation is way different I know exactly how you feel. I'm a Navy RESERVIST but I have been stationed in Pensacola FL for almost a year on med hold. I broke my hand back in Feb, had my hand rebroken by a Navy dr in March, got my cast off in april and it took 3 months of me going back to the dr in pain for him to refer me to another dr. Then I had reconstructive surgery in July and 3 months of occupational therapy. I just got my second pin (more like a nail) taken out a week and a half ago because I'm having problems with my wrist (it will only bend back to half way) I started seeing mental health in may but didn't keep up with it because at the time I wanted to stay in. I went back in Sept once again to have someone to talk to and now (Nov) I see the chap and mental health. I no long want to be in the Navy I feel like this is not what I signed up for and after seeing how ****ty these people are I want nothing to do with it. I have gone into severe depression to the point where I have left my rm for a week. Stopped talking to all my friends from home, told my mom to **** off, and broke up with my boyfriend. Its funny because being here alone has made me this way and I too feel like that as soon as I leave here I will be fine. Im trying to get on anti depressants but they haven't started me on them yet so instead I take oxycodone (generic percocet)so that instead of crying all day I just sleep and sleep. Ive thought about going ua everyday since June. I started thinking about suicide almost two months ago and let it slip out last week. They all think that it was just a threat to try to go home but they have no idea how miserable I am here. All of my friends left months ago its crazy to feel so alone when there are thousands of ppl around you, but the truth is I don't even want to make friends anymore. I would rather just sleep which is when I started thinking about just taking my whole bottle of pills. not a bad way to go. anyways please let me know if you've found a way to get out. Mental health said they would put in for a MEB for me but that can take 6 months to a year so they want me to see if I can get out on my hand first. However I will probably have to go back to physical therapy for months so at least it would be the start of something. If I'm already this depressed now I don't want to know what I will be like in another 6-12 months. And it hurts me even more that Im having suicidal thoughts especially since one of my good friends killed himself almost a year ago when I was in boot camp and now all we ever do it think about how much we miss him and write on his fb about how we wish we could have helped. I don't want to be that person too but it seems like my life would be better that way

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">