• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Medical Discharge Navy

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

greeneyezka

Virginia
Hello I hurt my arm/hand in boot camp. I hyper extended my thumb(thumb bent all the way back and touched my wrist. I was LLD the first month of basic. I saw 4 doctors and had on 5 different casts. The doctor tried to put me out in basic, but didn't. I was told that I would have this pain in my arm/hand for life because of the wrong treatment. This is no fault of my own. The doctors didn't put the right casts for my hand,arm to heal right. It hurts to write, to hold anything, or to use my right hand.(I'm right-handed) I'm in constant pain. And I am afraid of going to the doctor and getting a medical discharge. But my arm just hurts. Everyday simple task causes me to be in pain. I don't know what to do about it. I read somewhere about a disability check. But I can't survive off of $100 a month of disability. I don't know what to do. [email protected]

ecmst12

The rating schedule for VA disability can be found here:
http://www.benefits.va.gov/warms/bookc.asp

The section that most interests you looks to be 4.71a. Loss of use of one hand is rated at 60 or 70% but I am not sure if your situation qualifies as loss of use; you would have to be examined at discharge.

The actual amount corresponding to the ratings is found here:
http://www.vba.va.gov/bln/21/Rates/comp01.htm

If you meet the criteria for 60-70% disabled according to the VA, then you are looking at around $1000 per month, which you will receive regardless of whatever employment you find after you are discharged.

You may wish to speak with someone about what could happen if you are discharged and what the steps to applying for disability are, and how long the process could take (could be a while). A VA rep or similar advocate for active members would probably be helpful. You may also want to have some frank conversations with the medical staff about what your prognosis is.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">