• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Military Entrance with Asthma.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

dantheman

Hello,
At MEPS I did not put my Asthma down as I havent had it since I was around 10 and even then it was only because my mother was afraid my colds and congestions were asthmatic (which they were not, I remember feeling fine and then astonished she wanted me to get it checked out). I don't know if my doctor put asthma in my medical records but i'v received an inhaler. I did not use it at all after elementary school.

But because I am an honest person and do not want to be penalized for a foolish decision I am wondering if I should request to update my Medical record or let it be.

justalayman

How long ago was this (the MEPS center situation)?

do you currently experience attacks of asthma?

do you still have an inhaler?

TigerD

But because I am an honest person and do not want to be penalized for a foolish decision I am wondering if I should request to update my Medical record or let it be.
If you want out of the military - tell them.

Otherwise, the best advice someone can give a person entering basic training: Shut up and keep your head down.

DC

dantheman

How long ago was this (the MEPS center situation)?

do you currently experience attacks of asthma?

do you still have an inhaler?
I finished MEPS Early september.

As I said, I haven't used an inhaler since elementary school,
I have never had an asthma attack, the worst i'v gotten was congestion cause I had a cold -which my mom assumed was asthma.
I haven't been prescribed inhalers, the only times I'v received an inhaler was years ago when my mother requested one not because of any doctor's suggestion.

NOTE: The only thing I have signed was my D.E.P
I do not even have a ship date yet.

Last edited:

dantheman

Were you "around 10", or were you over the age of 12?
Well, In Fourth Grade I was 9.
I haven't used an inhaler after Elementary school (which would mean the oldest I'd be is 10 - clearly), maybe once before or in the sixth grade.

But, besides those times I never had used an inhaler.

CJane

Well, In Fourth Grade I was 9.
I haven't used an inhaler after Elementary school (which would mean the oldest I'd be is 10 - clearly), maybe once before or in the sixth grade.

But, besides those times I never had used an inhaler.
If you were diagnosed with asthma (regardless of whether or not you used an inhaler) after the age of 12, it's a problem. If not, then it's not.

justalayman

If you were diagnosed with asthma (regardless of whether or not you used an inhaler) after the age of 12, it's a problem. If not, then it's not.
It could be a problem in the long run and allow for a discharge but as to providing false information on the application, unless the OP was aware of the actual diagnosis, it shouldn't be a problem. Given the OP's statements, I don't see how anything more than a general discharge would be a concern.

CJane

It could be a problem in the long run and allow for a discharge but as to providing false information on the application, unless the OP was aware of the actual diagnosis, it shouldn't be a problem. Given the OP's statements, I don't see how anything more than a general discharge would be a concern.
Asthma is only a disqualifying condition if the diagnosis is made or continues beyond the age of 12, in which case, OP should worry about a discharge due to fraudulent enlistment.

If there really was no diagnosis, and the doctor just prescribed an inhaler to ease Mom's concerns (which I find all but impossible to believe), AND it was all before OP was "10 or so", it's probably not an issue.

But it sounds to me like OP KNOWS it's an issue and is trying out his "defense" here before he gets a phone call from Uncle Sam.

justalayman

CJane;3301321]Asthma is only a disqualifying condition if the diagnosis is made or continues beyond the age of 12, in which case, OP should worry about a discharge due to fraudulent enlistment.
there is no fraudulent enlistment. That was my point. Regardless of there being a diagnosis beyond age 12 (which it appears there isn't) if the OP was not aware of an actual diagnosis, then saying you do not have asthma is not faudulent.

If there really was no diagnosis, and the doctor just prescribed an inhaler to ease Mom's concerns (which I find all but impossible to believe),
actually, depending on what was prescribed, I don't. Asthma, which is a diagnosis based on symptoms, is very similar to other issues which a bronchodialator will also provide relief from.

But it sounds to me like OP KNOWS it's an issue and is trying out his "defense" here before he gets a phone call from Uncle Sam.
that may be so and if so, the military powers that would research this have a lot more power in investigating than I so I suspect they would find what is being hidden. If that be the case, then best of luck to the OP for lying,

btw: asthma is not always a disqualifier. I know a kid that entered the military with full disclosure of his asthma, including the use of an inhaler. While it is supposed to be a disqualifier, apparently it was not in his case.

dantheman

that may be so and if so, the military powers that would research this have a lot more power in investigating than I so I suspect they would find what is being hidden. If that be the case, then best of luck to the OP for lying,

Im going to call my doctor and see if its on my record,
I don't know if it's been diagnosed on paper.

Hm... I ran 1 mile in around 6 minutes yesterday with my friends, only break I took was to tie my shoes and I didn't deduct the shoe tying time from the finishing time.

I'll update the thread when i find out about the record.

justalayman

Im going to call my doctor and see if its on my record,
I don't know if it's been diagnosed on paper.

Hm... I ran 1 mile in around 6 minutes yesterday with my friends, only break I took was to tie my shoes and I didn't deduct the shoe tying time from the finishing time.

I'll update the thread when i find out about the record.
actually you might be better off not doing that. If you are being truthful here your best defense should this become a problem would be one of ignorance. It won't keep you in the military but it might keep you from being charged criminally.

as a wise man once said:

If you want out of the military - tell them.

Otherwise, the best advice someone can give a person entering basic training: Shut up and keep your head down.

DC

dantheman

actually you might be better off not doing that. If you are being truthful here your best defense should this become a problem would be one of ignorance. It won't keep you in the military but it might keep you from being charged criminally.

as a wise man once said:
I know the guy above says that I'm trying to "try out a defense" but, I seriously do not know my actual-on paper record.

My recruiter even came to my house and sat with my mom (since i'm 17), my recruiter asked her if I had it after 12 and even my mom said no.

justalayman

I know the guy above says that I'm trying to "try out a defense" but, I seriously do not know my actual-on paper record.

My recruiter even came to my house and sat with my mom (since i'm 17), my recruiter asked her if I had it after 12 and even my mom said no.

then follow debtcollectors` advice.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">