• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

My husband is in a hostile work environment.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Troma

My husband is in the IET stages of training at the Defense Language Institute, and has had a few issues. He's in the process of separation due to a negative mental evaluation/persistent medical issues, and got a new commander a few months back. Since then, the commander has pretty much openly said that he wants my husband out due to the fact that he's constantly on profile, and doesn't believe him to be sick....despite the fact that he had a medical diagnosis of patella femoritis and went to physical therapy all the time. He's just recently been phased back to phase 5 for no reason, and now is only allowed to drive to and from work and cannot drive around base....even with his knee issues. They constantly get him in trouble for not doing the proper procedure for appointments, even though he has, and they aren't doing the right thing (like checking the appointment book, etc)

Who can he go and talk to about this? Is there anything he can do?

(Edit) Because you people can't seem to focus on the question, and instead like to tell me that WE can't do anything. I'm not posting for my own good health here.

Last edited:

Troma

Thanks for quoting what I've already said.
Please keep your nose out unless you can tell me something useful.

ecmst12

He's in the military, was he expecting teddy bears and puppies?

YOU can't do anything and this is between him and his commander.

OHRoadwarrior

The DLIFLC at the Presidio of Monterey, California (DLIFLC & POM) is the DoD's primary foreign language school. Military service members study foreign languages at highly accelerated paces in courses ranging from 24 to 64 weeks in length.
Defense Language Institute - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

It sounds like he is not able to keep the pace needed to complete his responsibilities there. I suggest he consider requesting reassignment, until he is able to complete the enhanced requirements of duty there.

Initial Entry Training (IET)

Last edited:

Troma

Wow.

I went through the school at the DLI, and I understand how it goes. I'm not here to get him babied, and I'm not here because I think that I can do something about it personally.

I'm NOT here to listen to you all tell me what I already know, and for you to get an attitude at me. I wanted unbiased legal information, but obviously the MILITARY LAW section of this website isn't the place.
You guys are *******s, have a nice day.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
I went through the school at the DLI, and I understand how it goes. I'm not here to get him babied, and I'm not here because I think that I can do something about it personally.

I'm NOT here to listen to you all tell me what I already know, and for you to get an attitude at me. I wanted unbiased legal information, but obviously the MILITARY LAW section of this website isn't the place.
You guys are *******s, have a nice day.
The fact of the matter is that this is not YOUR problem to deal with. There is nothing YOU (ie: "we") can do about it. Do you really not understand that?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
For posterity:

My husband is in the IET stages of training at the Defense Language Institute, and has had a few issues. He's in the process of separation due to a negative mental evaluation/persistent medical issues, and got a new commander a few months back. Since then, the commander has pretty much openly said that he wants my husband out due to the fact that he's constantly on profile, and doesn't believe him to be sick....despite the fact that he had a medical diagnosis of patella femoritis and went to physical therapy all the time. He's just recently been phased back to phase 5 for no reason, and now is only allowed to drive to and from work and cannot drive around base....even with his knee issues. They constantly get him in trouble for not doing the proper procedure for appointments, even though he has, and they aren't doing the right thing (like checking the appointment book, etc)

Who can we go and talk to about this? Is there anything we can do?

OHRoadwarrior

What is it you want then. If you don't want him babied, suggest to him, he request routine reassignment, until he can complete the requirements of the enhanced assignment he has.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">